Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 02-15-2005, 04:48 PM   #1
Deadhymn

Recommendations?

I was reading through a thread, and came upon the mention of Bjork. I realized then that I've only heard a total of maybe 4 songs. Ever (i just know this is going to amuse someone to no end). Anyone have song/CD recommendations that arent too obscure?
Deadhymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 05:29 AM   #2
pitseleh

I used to be waay into Björk when I was younger, like from 15 to 18. Lately I haven't listened to her a whole lot, so I can only recommend stuff from the first three albums, which are all great IMO. My favourite is probably Post, the second one. Choice cuts: Hyperballad, The Modern Things, Isobel, I Miss You, Headphones.

Then we jump back to her first album, Debut, which is also fantastic, but a bit more 'clubby' in places and not so wildly experimental compared to the later albums. Still pretty eclectic, though. I'd check out the songs Human Behaviour, There Is More To Life Than This, One Day, Violently Happy, Anchor Song, Play Dead.

Then there is Homogenic, probably the darkest Björk album, with the most intricate beats and arrangements. Real ear-candy, but with a more organic feel instrumentally than the previous ones. From this record I'd recommend Hunter, Joga, Unravel, Bachelorette, All Neon Like, All Is Full Of Love.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Oh, and as long as we're on the subject of recommendations, I'm sure a metal afficionado like yourself would appreciate Mastodon's new album Leviathan. There's a big chance you've already heard it, but it has to be mentioned just in case. Too damn good to miss.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 05:39 AM   #3
skoteinh

Being a huge fan of Bjork's music, I would recommend that you start with Debut, her first solo release. Great songs, "easy" to listen to, compared to her latest work.

Then I would say Post, which is the next release chronologically. Then came Homogenic, which may sound a little strange at first, and includes "Hunter", "Joga" and "All is full of love".

I would skip Vespertine, it is very abstract and electronic.

Finally, I would recommend her latest release, Medulla, which is kinda experimental, but amazing.

Alternatively, you could go for the "Greatest Hits" CD, which includes, among others, "Big time sensuality", "Play Dead", "Human Behavior", "Hunter" and one of my all time favorites "Bachelorette".
Old 02-16-2005, 09:13 AM   #4
Deadhymn

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll start with with Debut and Post.

pitseleh, Leviathan is an amazing album....read an interview with them recently where they were asked to describe themselves, and their answer was "WhaleCore".

Anyone feel free to use this thread for your own reccomendations. Or just let it die a cruel death.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:25 AM   #5
TeapotScar

Considering I have Bjork lyrics tattooed on my back, I figured I'd give a few recommendations, here.

Songs: "Joga", "Bachelorette", "Who is it?", "Pagan Poetry" (the video... oh my god- go to her website and watch it. *Awesome*), "Mouths Cradle" (it's abstract, but I like it. It's interesting.)

Albums: Definitely start with Post, move to Homogenic and then Vespertine, then Telegram. After that, do what you want.

If you think you can take it, "Medulla" is fucking amazing. Oh-My-Gawd. So creative, so explorational. She really discovers new venues for the voice in music. But it's a little out-there.

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 09:33 AM   #6
AlKilyu

I recommend the video of her attacking the reporter at the airport. ^_^
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:29 AM   #7
skoteinh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Are you making fun of Bjork?

Jesus says thou must DIE!
here here!
Old 02-17-2005, 08:53 AM   #8
AlKilyu

Hey whoa...why all the anger towards me? It's not like I attacked a reporter in a Bangkok airport or anything! Sheesh!
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 09:11 AM   #9
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Are you making fun of Bjork?

Jesus says thou must DIE!
Bjork SUX, Pee-Pee!!!

I recommend you find better music!

^_^
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 07:00 AM   #10
secretboy

Now I date myself.

You like Björk?

Try the Sugarcubes. The band she was in before she went solo. Some fucking amazing stuff.

Also, if you're a completist, go after the Current 93/Höh collaboration, called "Island" - it has several duets of a sort between David Tibet and our icelandic swan.

Also, that album has the best Current93 song on it, "The Fall of Christopher Robin" - so...bonus!

Anyways, being old and cranky, I listen to the Sugarcubes still. Björk's solo stuff is okay. Some of it's pretty good, some of it drives me up the wall. Isobel is an awesome song.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:41 AM   #11
OnixxFilth

Hey, I've only recently started getting into old-school goth stuff, and I've found out that I adore the Sisters of Mercy. I have Floodland and am getting A Slight Case of Overbombing and First Last and Always- what other albums/bands would you recommend?
OnixxFilth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:53 PM   #12
Deadhymn

Joy Division is good. Try picking up label sampler's from Metropolis and Cleopatra. Christian Death is pretty essential (arguably). Look into Buahaus as well. I wont reccomend specific albums though. Just buy whatever you find, and see if you like it. Listening to the "best" isnt always the best way, at first.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:18 PM   #13
MrMaelstrom

Well, I'm very glad to have started all this. I recommend from the 1st album a song no one mentioned:

"Come To me"

Other songs:

Bachelorette

All Is Full Of Love (and watch the uncensored videoclip)

Play Dead

Which song from the 2nd album goes "I go through all this before you wake up, so I can feel happier to be with you..."? 'Cause I recommend that one too.

As for "oldschool" Sisters, I dig:

Gimme Shelter***

Heartland*

Body Electric*

Temple Of Love (with and without Ofra Haza's voice, R.I.P.)*

Alice

Black Planet

Marian*

First And Last And Always

Some Kind Of Stranger*

Dominion/Mother Russia*

Lucretia My Reflection

This Corrosion

More*

Dr.Jeep*

Vision Thing*

when You Don't See Me

*These are a must, in my unmodest opinion.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:13 PM   #14
Nike

I'd have to add

Lights

and

burn

to Mr. M's lovely little list
Old 03-17-2005, 03:55 PM   #15
OnixxFilth

I think my favorite Sisters song so far is "This Corrosion"- I've had it stuck in my head all day! Speaking of music, I was watching this really bad movie today in philosophy (we had to) called [/u]Wings of Desire and it had a performance by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. When Dr. Kyte said,"This is Nick Cave", I couldn't help but yell,"Yeahhh!" Finally, the movie got interesting!
Old 03-18-2005, 02:04 AM   #16
g.shadow

Recommendations?

good choice man i think i'll get a couple of those thou i dont know if i'll get them in England... but i should do.
g.shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 08:56 AM   #17
MrMaelstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnixxFilth
I was watching this really bad movie today in philosophy (we had to) called [/u]Wings of Desire[u]
A BAD MOVIE????!!!

Why? 'cause it was a lot in black&white and hardly anybody spoke english?

You MUST surely be no more than a teenager really. Wings of Desire is one of the most brilliant films EVER made, and if you're lucky, you'll grow enough to swallow those very words.

Even the bit where Nick Cave thinks to himself "I'm not gonna tell them about a girl" and then shouts "I HAVE to tell you about a girl" and sings From Her To Eternity is nothing more than the underlining of the angel's true everlasting love for the trapeze girl.

Hopefully one day, you'll be able to watch that film and cry tears of joy for all the beauty it shows of humanity, and tears of shame regarding those very words.

Sorry if I'm a bit harsh, but calling Wings over Berlin (original german title) a bad film is a revolting concept for me.

A bad film is the adaptation you americans did of it with Nickolas Cage and Meg Ryan (City Of Angels), turning a human masterpiece into a hollywood romantic film for desperate horny housewives.

Shame on you...
Old 03-19-2005, 08:42 PM   #18
OnixxFilth

Maybe it's just the fact that I don't generally care for movies about angels. I dunno. I think a really brilliant film is Requiem for a Dream. It really makes you feel like life is hopeless- a really grim portrait of reality. I love it!
Old 03-20-2005, 12:16 AM   #19
Deadhymn

and as for Nick Cave, check out (if you havent already) Let Love In, Murder Ballads, and Abattoir Blues & The Lyre of Orpheus (theres a review of this one on the site).
Old 03-21-2005, 07:42 AM   #20
OnixxFilth

My local library has Murder Ballads and The Boatman's Call, both of which I have checked out and now will have to get for myself or have my boyfriend burn for me!
Old 03-23-2005, 12:16 PM   #21
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaelstrom
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnixxFilth
I was watching this really bad movie today in philosophy (we had to) called [/u]Wings of Desire[u]
A BAD MOVIE????!!!

Why? 'cause it was a lot in black&white and hardly anybody spoke english?

You MUST surely be no more than a teenager really. Wings of Desire is one of the most brilliant films EVER made, and if you're lucky, you'll grow enough to swallow those very words.

Even the bit where Nick Cave thinks to himself "I'm not gonna tell them about a girl" and then shouts "I HAVE to tell you about a girl" and sings From Her To Eternity is nothing more than the underlining of the angel's true everlasting love for the trapeze girl.

Hopefully one day, you'll be able to watch that film and cry tears of joy for all the beauty it shows of humanity, and tears of shame regarding those very words.

Sorry if I'm a bit harsh, but calling Wings over Berlin (original german title) a bad film is a revolting concept for me.

A bad film is the adaptation you americans did of it with Nickolas Cage and Meg Ryan (City Of Angels), turning a human masterpiece into a hollywood romantic film for desperate horny housewives.

Shame on you...
Great Mael, now I have to pester the hell outta my husband to find this movie,cuz I like some foreign films.I haven't seen many, but they do seem more original than the ones coming out in America.I was in the middle of watching 'Raise The Red Lantern', when someone had to watch a football game!We don't have cable now so I feel the sting of loss for our international station ever more painfully......*sniff*
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:35 AM   #22
OnixxFilth

Maybe someday I'll develop an appreciation for foreign films, but I don't actually watch movies much in the first place. I think t.v. rots your brain and everyone should sit down and read a good book. By the way, I'm not a teenager, I'm 21.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:56 AM   #23
MrMaelstrom

Sorry for snapping like that Onixx, but that film for me is...

Had to watch it stoned for the 1st time in order to fully appreciatte the photography and dialogues and thoughts of people. It's a difficult movie to take in completelly in one go. And boring as hell if one is not in the mood and forced to watch it (school, you said, wasn't it?).

Cinema cannot be compared to tv, except in the sense that it is a business.

But if you limit yourself to artists who care not for finantial gain and profit, you'll most likely be dealing with the works of a pretentious rich bastard with pseudo-artistic ideals and money to spend (there's a surprisingly big number of those out there).

Like anything worth enjoying, film and cinema is an aquired taste as well, and it ain't watching crap that taste and sensitivity to that form of art is to be gained.

I say start with something easy, funny and tragic, tragically funny that is Emir Kusturica's "Underground".

If you just want tragic, the "Waves Of Passion" by Lars Von Trier will be something.

Incredibly funny and truelly shocking to the point of getting people running from the cinemas: "Man Bites Dog." (This film is definately not for everyone)

If you're able to withstand a crap dubbing of Bruce Lee or watch it in cantonese, you'll think this as one of the most romantic films ever made: Chungking Express, by Wong Kar Wai (be prepared, you're gonna hear a lot of "California Dreamin'" and love it afterwords).

If you watch ANY of these and say you didn't like it, you'll get a "Maelstrom Apologised To Me!!" sticker and a public apology in bold letters in any thread of your choice.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:48 PM   #24
OnixxFilth

Red face

I suppose I'd snap if someone said they didn't like Run Lola Run. I'm so glad I grabbed that one at the video store!
Old 09-28-2005, 12:44 AM   #25
Shemjazza

Wim Wenders is a legend. his films are unbelivable. also i just picked up Miranda Sex Garden's Suspiria today, in the sale bin would you believe! Brilliant album. can't recommend it enough.
Shemjazza is offline   Reply With Quote