Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:12 PM   #1
Godslayer Jillian

So, Ren and Stimpy

What's so fucking great about them?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:07 AM   #2
Methadrine

Just about everything, actually.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:10 AM   #3
Beneath the Shadows

Nothing that I'm aware of.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
Slap Your Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methadrine
Just about everything, actually.
I second this.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
XxBloodyrosexX

I watched that when I was little and liked it, along with pinky and the brain!? What brought this on? a blast from the past? regression therapy?
XxBloodyrosexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #6
stolide

I never noticed that it was very good...
stolide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:05 PM   #7
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
The audience can relate to them. For example: Ren Hoek is a taker. Stimpy is a lovable giver. He gives and gives to a fault, and Ren thinks he is an idiot for being that way, but when Stimpy is graced with Karma's sweet reward, Ren learns the lesson, but cannot change his personality. He is a taker and always will be.

Ren's attitude towards life turns him into the nervous high strung wreck we all know and love.

Then there is the art. OHHHH the art!

A close up of Ren reveals pores clogged with God knows what, black pointed hairs spiraling out of control, and cracked teeth set against red, red gums.

The cartoonists take GREAT liberties with the still shots of Ren and Stimpy together, HUGE puppy dog eyes, or fiercesome, toothy grins, eyebrow muscles contracted to the point of bursting and spewing the resultant mitochondria all OVER the place! Oh, I LOVE the art!

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:43 PM   #8
Pantherlette086

I loved Ren And Stimpy! I used to watch them all the time!
Old 09-18-2008, 09:47 PM   #9
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Nothing that I'm aware of.
Quoted for Truth
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:56 PM   #10
Jaye Jang

I'm so guilty on this. I used to paint my Halloween pumpkins as Ren and Stimpy every year.
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:39 AM   #11
Slap Your Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain

A close up of Ren reveals pores clogged with God knows what, black pointed hairs spiraling out of control, and cracked teeth set against red, red gums.

The cartoonists take GREAT liberties with the still shots of Ren and Stimpy together, HUGE puppy dog eyes, or fiercesome, toothy grins, eyebrow muscles contracted to the point of bursting and spewing the resultant mitochondria all OVER the place! Oh, I LOVE the art!
Exactly, I really don't care what happens in the cartoon I just love looking at the characters. I love the art as well.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:23 PM   #12
TheBloodEternity

Quote:
The audience can relate to them. For example: Ren Hoek is a taker. Stimpy is a lovable giver. He gives and gives to a fault, and Ren thinks he is an idiot for being that way, but when Stimpy is graced with Karma's sweet reward, Ren learns the lesson, but cannot change his personality. He is a taker and always will be.

Ren's attitude towards life turns him into the nervous high strung wreck we all know and love.

...Seconded...

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:41 PM   #13
Nexus-6

Ren & Stimpy are awesome! When I was a kid I used to wear a Ren & Stimpy baseball cap everywhere
Nexus-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:28 PM   #14
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:

Wait, so people love Ren and Stimpy because Ren's both an idiot, and an asshole, Stimpy's a door mat, and because of the disgusting art?
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

Old 09-23-2008, 11:25 PM   #15
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
Wait, so people love Ren and Stimpy because Ren's both an idiot, and an asshole, Stimpy's a door mat, and because of the disgusting art?
In a nut shell.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:56 AM   #16
Jaye Jang

Joker, it goes along with why do people love 'Dumb and Dumber', 'Legally Blonde' and 'Wayne's World.' I guess, every so often we need to lose the 'intellectualism' and just laugh at something that does not require a lot of brain power.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:44 PM   #17
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye Jang
Joker, it goes along with why do people love 'Dumb and Dumber', 'Legally Blonde' and 'Wayne's World.' I guess, every so often we need to lose the 'intellectualism' and just laugh at something that does not require a lot of brain power.
Keep in mind I hate both Wayne's World and Dumb and Dumber. I'm not saying everything needs to be intellectual, but that's just blatant obnoxious stupidity.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:24 PM   #18
TheBloodEternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
Pretty much.

I hate all of the movies Jaye Jang listed.

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:20 PM   #19
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloodEternity
I hate all of the movies Jaye Jang listed.
Me too. It's interesting that I hate Jim Carey in Dumb and Dumber yet like his performance in The Grinch and The Mask. The closer to cartoon, the more acceptable the stupidity becomes, perhaps because one expects more from people, and less from invented characters.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #20
Duane

I love D&D and Wayne's World. I remember watching Ren and Stimpy, the intro was awesome! It was like a bluesy guitar riff, with a bit of bass, and drum, I think.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:21 PM   #21
Saya

I had to go look them up on youtube to refresh my memory before I could comment.......and I must say I'm very surprised my parents let me watch that when I was a kid 0.o

I'll stick to Invader Zim when I want to watch stupid cartoons.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:42 AM   #22
Metabolik

Oh god I remember watching that xD
Brings back good memories... well not exactly good but remembering is fun.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:28 AM   #23
Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
I'll stick to Invader Zim when I want to watch stupid cartoons.
Are you single and conveniently in the Southern Hemisphere?

I adore Invader Zim. Silly, but innovative with all kinds of characters thrown in.

About Ren & Stimpy...

It was the only cartoon that my father would watch with me when I was a kid, so It was the only thing that made me love it. When I watched it again once more once I was older, it seemed a little too crass for my liking. Every single thing I saw on that episode led to something even more unsanitary on top of whatever had been shown earlier in the show. Maybe I need to see it again, just a different episode.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:09 AM   #24
MissJane

If it's a cartoon, but not on Adult Swim, I don't care about it. That includes the Anime they've played on there. (Nothing wrong with people who like it, I just happen not to be one of them.)

Ren and Stimpy: I remember liking that "ice cream bar" episode as a kid, but yeah, it was before I saw Metalocalypse, etc. There was some talent there, I suppose.
MissJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:13 PM   #25
Jaye Jang

Joker, et al, I can see your point. For that reason, I don't like all the 'Spooky Movie', etc. spin-offs, either. It just depends on who you 'hang' out with. (When I would babysit my younger male siblings/nephews, I would end up watching 'Ren and Stimpy', etc., for the girls it was 'Spongebob', etc., and for the teenybops it would end up being 'Wayne's World', 'Legally Blonde', etc. Sometimes you laugh because you're too tired to critique and sometimes because of the company. Surprisingly enough, sometimes the kids watch this stuff so they can 'critique' it).