Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:12 PM   #1
TheSomnambulist

I wonder

I am curious as to whether anyone here has dropped out of college. Further, do you believe that you made the right choice?

I'd also be interested in hearing from college graduates. What is life like for you with a college degree?
TheSomnambulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:04 AM   #2
viscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSomnambulist
I'd also be interested in hearing from college graduates. What is life like for you with a college degree?
Rather boring and aimless at first, but a lot more interesting after I got an English teaching certificate and moved to a foreign country.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
Solumina

I haven't graduated yet but for anyone who is planning to go to college/university, or who started recently, my advice is to talk to the office of career development (or whatever similar office your school has) in your first year. If you have no idea what you want to do they can help you out a ton but the thing that many people forget is that they are also extremely helpful if you do know what you want. Many people pay attention to what major is required for what they want to do and then just pick what class they want that fit in that major but frequently if you are going to do anything that requires certification then you need specific classes (many of my friends were planning to teach when they got out of school and many of them are now in their senior year and no longer have that option if they want to graduate on time because they didn't take the necessary classes).

Also I have yet to meet someone who commuted their first year who was actually happy with their school, you just don't get to know people as well and there is so much that goes on in the dorms that you miss out on that you aren't able to get the full experience (and hey being that close to your classes makes it take a bit less effort to get your ass to class). I'm sure that there are exceptions out there but I still recommend on campus living for your first year.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:24 AM   #4
ellelino

I've always known what I wanted to do...
the human mind, and the fucked up minds hav always drawn my interests...
without a university degree I wouldn't have made it anywhere, so my advice is dont go into university without a passion, I dropped out of Engineering after a whole year, and went back to the start to do what i've always wanted to do, Psychology...
If u have a passion in life, go for it!
ellelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:43 AM   #5
Valravn

UNfortunately I dropped the art school some year ago for go to work in Denmark, though I found it an incredible experience (which allowed me to learn english and find my fiance') I kinda regret dropping it.
Valravn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:15 AM   #6
Saya

I dropped out, I regret it because I feel like I wasted my time, but at the same time I wasn't sure what I was doing, the time away and working really helped me think about it and gain perspective. I'm going back soon and will be doing Physical Anthropology.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #7
Jonathan

I left halfway through a bachelor's degree to help support my family while my father was out of work due to an injury.

Three years later, it is proving extremely difficult to go back to school. With any luck, my new employer will help me with reimbursement so I can get the degree. I don't like leaving things half done.

One thing I at least had going for me was an Associate's degree and a few industry certifications. I'm still under what I should be making at this stage, but life's all about compromise.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #8
Apathy's_Child

I droppped out of college when I realized I was pissing away a scholarship which could have gone on someone more worth teaching. I hated college, and was a terrible student.

I now perform a low-paid job, but as long as I've got enough for cheap whiskey and day-to-day living (which isn't that hard to achieve if you're not supporting a family and are prepared to live in dumps, which doesn't bother me in the slightest) I prefer a pressure-free existence. It's all about priorities.

My Russian Lit teacher (also my personal tutor) almost cried when I dropped out. I'm still in touch with him, and every time we talk he insists on fightimg the losing battle of attempting to convince me to go back to school. Everyone else accepts that I have no ambition whatsoever, and that it's not a fucking social disease.

If it's worth knowing, and you care to learn it, you don't need college. If, however, it's about ambition, which you need a piece of paper to follow through on (and that's not a criticism, just a fact of life), then stay.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:45 PM   #9
AngelikDemonik

My second year of college I just stopped going. I really had no interest in it at the time.

It was the biggest mistake of my life. I lost all of my grants, had to take out thousands of dollars in student loans, and after 5 years of schooling, I'm finally a semester away from getting my Associate's Degree in Nursing.

http://www.myspace.com/dancemydarling

AIM: ThisIsntSybil
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:17 PM   #10
Jaye Jang

I actually 'dropped out' three times. I did not want to, but I started three degrees over the years, and ran out of money before I ran out of classes. The first two degrees were because, at the time I was in college, there were no PELL grants, Stafford loans, etc., so if you didn't have the money and couldn't get a scholarship, you did not go. I started out in medical school, straight out of high school, ostensibly to be a doctor, and worked as a lab tech on the side. I had to drop out because I simply could not afford to finish the training. I have always regretted that. The closest I came to being a doctor was being a medic in the army. Before joining that, I worked as a library assistant and decided to become a librarian. I went back to school and worked as a clerk typist at the university. I finished my Associates, and was three-fourths of the way through a Bachelor's in Cultural and Social Anth, when 'life' intervened and I had to drop out because I could no longer afford the tuition. Eventually I ended up working as a medical records tech temp and wanted to do that, but I needed a degree. So, I went back to college with money I had set aside in the army, this time to get a degree in Medical Data. I was three-fourths of the way through my final semester, when once again, 'life' intervened, and I had to drop out due to finances. So, I tried again, and wound up getting a technical diploma, in Medical Secretarial, instead.

My end-goal would be to finish my second degree, since I am too old to go back to medical school. (Besides I would like to work on a dig before I die. That would be fun). As for the third degree, I would like to finish that just because I came so close. What I would like to do more than anything would be to combine all three degrees, with my art training (I've also been an art instructor), and become a forensic artist. Then I could work with my girl. That would also be cool.
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #11
Minyaliel

College... now what would that translate to in the Norwegian school system...? *thinks, then checks Wikipedia* Uh, still confused. Iīm now in university, working on my BA of Languages, but I have completed several courses in arts like drama and music previously.

I donīt know if I will complete my degree in Russian, to be honest. I only chose it because I had to. I couldnīt afford not to study, and art studies are not very reliable. Still, I will be auditioning for three or four music conservatories nationally and internationally next spring. Iīm already preparing for it on the side. I want to get a masters degree in Opera and musical theatre, and I tell you, if itīs the last thing I do I will have it.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote