Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 10-02-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
Godslayer Jillian

Biden/Palin debate

Anyone saw it?
I was very impressed with Biden. I don't like who much he likes Israel, but hey, if I didn't disagree with the candidates in some aspects then I'd just be another mindless partisan.
DUDE!! PALIN SUCKS!

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Despanan

Well, she didn't have any idiot moments like she had in the Couric interview (I came in late though, as I was at rehersal) I will say this:

I have been an actor for a number of years, and I know how to recognize someone who's working from a script they're not sure they remember. That's exactly what she was doing. That woman must've drilled, and drilled and drilled her answers, because every time she was asked a question her eyes would glaze over and she would go on autopilot.

Now to be fair, She probably knew that a fuck-up now would destroy the McCain campaign so you can't blame her for preparing, but still, re arranging words? talking in monotone? yeah, that's someone who's pretty sure they know they're lines, but not entirely comfortable with them. She's an empty blouse.

Did anyone see Biden get choaked up when he talked about his family? Yeah, that was real...or that man should be in Hollywood.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
Godslayer Jillian

Oh yeah, I felt bad with that. But we shouldn't base our president by attitudes and feelings.
But still; he didn't need that for everyone to know he's infinitely better than Palin. His emotions right there just gave him even more excuse for being so cool.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
TheBloodEternity

Infinitely better than Palin? Not saying much. I would rather appoint a flaming bag of dog shit to Vice President than that woman.

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:36 PM   #5
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I can't believe she stuck to the "$5,000 tax break so Americans can buy their own medical insurance." HELLO! Some Americans can't meet their mortgage much less buy their own insurance. Retirees are having to choose between their prescriptions or food. Same old Republican "you are on your own" BS.

The whole time I listened to them with my head down, so I would not become beguiled by smiles and body language. I wanted to hear what they were saying.

Nothing in the debate gave me reason to change my planned vote.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
The whole time I listened to them with my head down, so I would not become beguiled by smiles and body language. I wanted to hear what they were saying.
A friend of mine does that. He listens to it on the radio instead.
I consider it an obvious but frighteningly clever idea.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 10-02-2008, 09:24 PM   #7
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloodEternity
Infinitely better than Palin? Not saying much. I would rather appoint a flaming bag of dog shit to Vice President than that woman.
But that's the same thing...

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:01 AM   #8
Catch

The whole thing was boring. Bidden had the stats on every vote McCain every made and Palin was chattering some lines a speech writter made up for her. I could almost see her trying to remember her talking points.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:49 PM   #9
gothicusmaximus

Jesus Christ, Palin belabors the fact that she's a soccer mom to the same extent that Rudy Giuliani does his being mayor during 9/11. The only difference is that being mayor of New York during 9/11 might be considered an accomplishment by some standard.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
JCC

She's a HOCKEY mom. It takes hours and hours of dedication and practice, and is completely relevant to running government.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #11
gothicusmaximus

"Being the governor of Alaska, I feel climate change more than anyone else."
WHAT?
Old 10-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #12
MitsyMayhem

I thought it was interesting because Biden and Palin are two completely different people, in speaking, and in presentation. She's had some rough couple of weeks, but she made it through without doing any damaged to the Republican Campaign. Even though I dislike her, I can commend her for that. However, I noticed that she didn't make an impact, it seemed as if they had told her to just not screw up.

Biden on the other hand, isn't nearly as charismatic as Palin, but he knows what he's talking about and he purposely (which I think is smart) went out of his way to say "Hey, I know more than she does.."

Each of them made some errors in facts, as several political analysts have pointed out. But Biden did an outstanding job and Palin well, survived.
MitsyMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #13
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
"Being the governor of Alaska, I feel climate change more than anyone else."
WHAT?
I could hear the cries of anguish from Kiribati.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #14
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsyMayhem
I thought it was interesting because Biden and Palin are two completely different people, in speaking, and in presentation. She's had some rough couple of weeks, but she made it through without doing any damaged to the Republican Campaign. Even though I dislike her, I can commend her for that. However, I noticed that she didn't make an impact, it seemed as if they had told her to just not screw up.

Biden on the other hand, isn't nearly as charismatic as Palin, but he knows what he's talking about and he purposely (which I think is smart) went out of his way to say "Hey, I know more than she does.."

Each of them made some errors in facts, as several political analysts have pointed out. But Biden did an outstanding job and Palin well, survived.
They both had different strategies. Biden elected to delineate facts and expose flaws and inconsistencies in his opponent's platform. Palin elected to ignore questions and talk 'to the American people' about hockey, Alaska, her kids, and an imaginary super-squad of mavericks.
One of these techniques is obviously preferred by intelligent people, but unfortunately America is largely composed of unintelligent people.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #15
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
They both had different strategies. Biden elected to delineate facts and expose flaws and inconsistencies in his opponent's platform. Palin elected to ignore questions and talk 'to the American people' about hockey, Alaska, her kids, and an imaginary super-squad of mavericks.
One of these techniques is obviously preferred by intelligent people, but unfortunately America is largely composed of unintelligent people.

Yeah. I noticed that. She's more of a cheerleader and a person who plays to the 'hearts' of most American people. One thing I could have wished Biden do better though was look at the camera. I mean, it didn't bother me, but I'd hate for something like that to hinder his connection with the less intelligent and informed people watching. If he had taken the initiative to work on his eye contact, I'm sure many of them would have thought "He knows a lot of facts...maybe he is better after all." Know stats, accurate or not makes you sound like you know what you're talking about.

I really want Obama to win more than anything right now.
MitsyMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:41 PM   #16
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
This is what scares me, the "Joe Six-pack" vote.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:58 PM   #17
Jonathan

I'm not sure if Biden neglecting to call Palin on dodging the moderator's questions was a good thing, or not.

On the one hand, it would have been hillarious to see what she could do when asked about something not on her cliff notes. On the other, it would probably have been seen as cruel partisan democrat attacking sweet female. I guess he made the right call.

I don't think Palin embarassed herself, but I'm having a hard time seeing her performance as "good" or "excellent" as some of the media pundits are claiming.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:18 PM   #18
Saya

We had our election debate on at the same time, I ended up having to flip back and forth, which I regret doing because I found it hard to follow either one of them. I really hate that Harper called a snap election, but its smart because most Canadians are following the American election much more closely than we are watching our own election.

Anyway, back to the debate. I really didn't like how she played her hockey mom image. Surely to god everyone should know that a hockey mom can't run a country if thats the best thing she can say about herself. I like what Jon Stewart said, how "I'm from a small town" doesn't make you better. I think she relied too much on her charms, as everyone else has said it was painfully obvious she was just saying what she was told to say.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:14 PM   #19
MollyMac

Those bastards made me late for class. Asshats made the SLPD re-route traffic.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #20
BLEED REBELION!!!

I watched it, I had never actually seen Palin speak before. I think I need to listen to less propaganda from either side.

I was expecting her to get up on the stage and suck super bad. She did okay. So did Biden. I found her winking atthe camera annoying.
And she kept saying that "the people" want the government to get out of their way... I wanted to pimp slap her.
every day i sit at home saying "jeez I wish the gov would get out of my way, I dont want help with health care, the free market will fix it"
<sarcasm>

I also thought she had on way to much blush or rouge w/e the hell you call it...

Bide kept saying this or that will help the middle class. And I was thinking "what about the "lower" class"
A friend pointed out to me that some people have a problem with the lable "lower class" and so Biden opted to say "people who make less than 120,000 a year"..

My fam makes like 20,000 a year so I guess I fall into that catogory.
I would vote Obama if I could vote. Although I dont think either of them will make that huge of a difference...

Random fact: Obama was born in Honolulu.

" I love 4play! Its the best thing I've ever done"
- My Boyfriend
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #21
Catch

You know bringing up stats all of the time isn't that great. He kept talking about McCain's voting record, but if out of 100 he voted twenty times for or against something because it had too many extras or it was a bad law even Bidden wouldn't vote for, then Bidden really didn't say anything at all. How did Bidden or Obama vote on those particular legislations?

~ Palin was like a freightened child. I think Bidden started feeling bad for her.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:10 PM   #22
Jonathan

To grossly oversimplify:

The middle class isn't so poorly off that they can benefit from programs like fuel assistance and food stamps and other forms of social assistance.

Thats why saying things like helping out the middle class is being stressed. They are already helping the poor. Maybe they aren't being helped enough, but there is at least something in place for people at or below the poverty line. Once you make above a certain amount, good luck you are on your own.

--

Biden was in a rough spot. He could have easily crushed her on any number of things, but sometimes you have to sacrifice tactical victories in order to achieve the strategic victory. If he came down hard, he'd have "won" the debate, but made a lot of people feel sympathetic for her and alienated a lot of voters. Sadly, it is better to be "likeable" than to be correct. Not many people are wiling to vote for an asshat no matter how great their ideas might be.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:33 PM   #23
Godslayer Jillian

It is inherently impossible for the middle class to have a tougher break than the lower class.
Therefore, it is nowhere near appropriate* to say that the reason politicians care more about the middle class is because they have already done enough for the lower class.
Politicians merely talk about the middle class because everyone like considering themselves as such. The rich fuckers like to think that they're just the average citizen and it's people like Bill Gates that constitute the genuine upper class. The lower class likes to think that they're well off enough to be middle class.
The whole concept of America among political circles is always about how it's supposed to be classless and how they're blurry unlike in Europe (which to me sound idiotic for political science professors to say)

* I'm not talking about politeness, but about reason.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 10-06-2008, 06:10 PM   #24
peacebear5028

It was obvious that Palin was dancing around the actual questions.
Constantly returning to certain general topics which the moral majority of "average Americans" are concerned about.
Joe Biden did a good job. Making her look quite stupid on more than one occasion. Sarah Palin just makes her self to cutesy.
Winking at the camera? I mean, honestly.
peacebear5028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #25
darksignal87

biden was a badass.. no doubt about it.. no comparison.. he blew her out of the water... statistics and facts.... she basically ignored a couple of questions.... man actually screw all of that about her... the thought about the possibility of her becoming president is probably the scariest notion i could think right now... if mccain wins.. im peacin out to canada

-john
darksignal87 is offline   Reply With Quote