Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
Steppenwolf

A stunning special effect

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7777086.stm
Old 12-12-2008, 01:46 AM   #2
jack_the_knife

I heard about this. Apparently the price tag was even still attached to the knife...
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
Despanan

It's more likely a publicity stunt or a suicide attempt than an actual attack. In my experience, when you're working on a show, you're pretty familiar with your props. You'd most likely notice if the knife was different, especially if it was a live blade.

Then again, I don't know the circumstances, so maybe this guy didn't have time to figure it out, or maybe he was just a dumbass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
Felreaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan
It's more likely a publicity stunt or a suicide attempt than an actual attack. In my experience, when you're working on a show, you're pretty familiar with your props. You'd most likely notice if the knife was different, especially if it was a live blade.

Then again, I don't know the circumstances, so maybe this guy didn't have time to figure it out, or maybe he was just a dumbass.
I'd have to agree, I too have done some acting (with knives, blunt of course) and it would be rather obvious if someone replaced my prop with a serious knife! I have a feeling it will turn out that he was attempting public suicide.
Felreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
Eclipsing the Son

Uh yeah. Hi. Worked in acting too and actually continue to work with actors on a pretty regular basis. If you're performing for an audience, with lights in your face, in character, you don't take the time to check if your props are all what you usually use.

I find it hard to imagine myself picking up every prop and turning it over in my hand, checking it out, with the audience watching, mid-scene. If he's just picking it up and killing himself in the scene it could have very easily been overlooked. You would more likely be too caught up in your scene to notice and if you did notice the change in props, you would probably just consider it a fluke and not really think much of it.

Take into mind that in the scene, he's picking up a knife and realistically dragging it over his throat. If it were sharp enough he'd probably barely feel it.

Though I'm sure public suicide is the first thing that comes to desperateman's mind every time he thinks of his long gone glory days in theater, I doubt this was an attempt at public suicide.

How familiar was Brandon Lee and his fellow actors to the gun that killed him? Are you going to join the bandwagon of people whom claim that was intentional too?
Eclipsing the Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:59 AM   #6
Corpsey

Quote:
Uh yeah. Hi. Worked in acting too and actually continue to work with actors on a pretty regular basis. If you're performing for an audience, with lights in your face, in character, you don't take the time to check if your props are all what you usually use.

I find it hard to imagine myself picking up every prop and turning it over in my hand, checking it out, with the audience watching, mid-scene. If he's just picking it up and killing himself in the scene it could have very easily been overlooked. You would more likely be too caught up in your scene to notice and if you did notice the change in props, you would probably just consider it a fluke and not really think much of it.
I was thinking along the same lines. I remember the process of back-stage preset, and even if it wasn't preset on stage, chances are nobody would have looked twice at it.

Once when I was discussing what could go wrong on stage with a friend of mine, he brought up this story of a man who got injured during a sword-fighting stunt who ignored it and kept performing, only to fall down dead in mid-sentence. Might be a tall story but i think he was trying to use it to provoke some sort of passion for more actors to be dedicated to their characters.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
crucifix

public suicide attempt.
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #8
Eclipsing the Son

Yeah. That's why he was back performing the same play the very next night.

Because he hates his life and wants to die.

If you believe that you probably have some issues of your own.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
Eclipsing the Son

Quote:
The audience is said to have applauded what they thought was a stunning special effect, and only realised something was wrong when the actor staggered off stage to receive treatment.
If he was attempting suicide, I think he would have laid there and let himself bleed out on stage. I don't think he would have gone offstage looking for help.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #10
Bat Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsing the Son
Yeah. That's why he was back performing the same play the very next night.

Because he hates his life and wants to die.

If you believe that you probably have some issues of your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsing the Son
If he was attempting suicide, I think he would have laid there and let himself bleed out on stage. I don't think he would have gone offstage looking for help.
Yes that’s exactly what I was thinking. It could have been a genuine accident but someone switching the props without him realising seems like the most likely cause. “Publicity stunt” is a more unlikely possibility.
Bat Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #11
gothicusmaximus

Quote:

Holy shit, Despanan, I want to direct a play with you in it, because every one of the many actors with whom I've worked just counted on the props to be where they needed to be at any given time.
I find that most actors have enough to worry about, or at least believe themselves to have enough to worry about, without needing to become intimately familiar with the unique texture of their prop knife's handle, or to inspect said knife before every show just to make sure isn't not real this time. Stagehands do exist for a reason.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:37 PM   #12
Eclipsing the Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Attack
Yes that’s exactly what I was thinking. It could have been a genuine accident but someone switching the props without him realising seems like the most likely cause. “Publicity stunt” is a more unlikely possibility.
I think it's most likely that someone misplaced the prop knife and they put in a real one, expecting the actor to know to use the dull side of the knife. Probably an accident caused by a rushed, unorganized atmosphere and not enough communication. These things happen sometimes when it comes to props, but never quite so over the top.

I also want to concur with what gothicus said about being 'familiar' with the props. That's not really something expected of actors at all. That's something handled by set organizers and stage hands. There is no 'bring your own props to work' ethic behind acting.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:20 PM   #13
Saya

Holy crap, glad he was okay enough to be on stage the next night. Sounds like one whoever was in charge of the props screwed up big time, good thing he was lucky enough not to hit an artery. For that reason I really doubt it was a publicity stunt, thats just way too risky.

Maybe they'll blame this on someone saying Macbeth?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:11 PM   #14
LaBelleDameSansMerci

*claps hands over ears* IT"S THAT SCOTTISH PLAY!!! :P
I'm impressed that he was back to work the next day. I wonder if I could do that and go back to the studio next day.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:27 PM   #15
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:
In my experience, when you're working on a show, you're pretty familiar with your props. You'd most likely notice if the knife was different, especially if it was a live blade.

You may as well give up Despanan. Trying to convince us you're an actor is the same as you trying to convince us that we're on ignore - frankly you try too hard to convey, and it's always done in such a clumsy fashion which only a total pleb is capable of.

You tell the forum that you are an actor, and yet the only examples you seem to cite relate constantly to stuff you have done "while in college". Not much theatre work of late, is it Despanan?

And now this further insult to the acting proffesion, where you try and come up with some new-age bullshit regarding actors relationships with props. If you had even done a days worth of actual acting in your miserable life, you would know that an actor has far too much to think about than if the props are in the right place. Acting is akin to being in a trance, and it is the responsibility of stage management to ensure that everything is in it's right place - actors are negated from that responsibility, which you should know.

Of course you didn't, because you're not an actor. You're a mere ex-student from some obscure college without any talent. You picked acting because you lack the intelligence to do anything worthwhile with yourself and though "hey, that looks like an easy grade... I'll do that". At any given opportunity you have tried to put forward the case that you are an actor, right down to this latest thread. It seems that the moment anyone mentions anything about theatre you feel the need to jump in and use your limited acting skills to pretend to portray yourself as an established actor. To those of us who actually have genuine experience, you're akin to David Brent in the Office (uk version).

Now go back to you room, play with your toys and your costumes.... forget about acting.
Sir. Helpmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #16
Malice In Wonderland

Did you check all your props when you were in drama camp?

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #17
Necrophagist

No, but you certainly did.

I am the Antiproduct!

There is, they say, no fool like an old fool - Golding.

" All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting." - Orwell.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:33 PM   #18
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelleDameSansMerci
*claps hands over ears* IT"S THAT SCOTTISH PLAY!!! :P
I'm impressed that he was back to work the next day. I wonder if I could do that and go back to the studio next day.
I was talking about Macbeth in a theatre once before a show, as I was reading it at the time. Someone told me to say "that Scottish play". I told them to piss off and continued talking about Macbeth. He started yelling at me about that idiotic superstition constantly. One firm punch, a bruised nose and a fall down the isle later, and he decided against pushing the issue any farther.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:04 PM   #19
Sir Canvas Corpsey

One time back stage me and some friends thought we'd chant Macbeth before going on... the speakers blew out at the very end of the play at the huge climax, and there supposed to be big epic operatic music coming from the speakers, instead they played it through a CD player... >_>;;
Old 12-18-2008, 07:09 PM   #20
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
I was talking about Macbeth in a theatre once before a show, as I was reading it at the time. Someone told me to say "that Scottish play". I told them to piss off and continued talking about Macbeth. He started yelling at me about that idiotic superstition constantly. One firm punch, a bruised nose and a fall down the isle later, and he decided against pushing the issue any farther.
Hahaha.. He must have been quite insistent. I was being silly, but :P
Nah, I use Macbeth all the time. I love that play.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:27 PM   #21
Mr. Filth

Who else wants to see that play where Harry Potter fucks a horse?
Mr. Filth is offline   Reply With Quote