Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
Twisted-mind

Location: in a boreing little section in a small town within Michigan
????

I'm done, I've finshed writing my book so now what? I know I should type it out but the whole process seems too frustrating. I'm trying to publish but in the meantime what do I do? Start the second book or a different series perhaps. Any body on this site have some tips?
Twisted-mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
menus era sota

get somebody else to type it for you - i use high schoolers to word procces my papers - quick and cheap.

look into freelance artists or whatever to see who's work you really like to use as art in the book - such as the cover, etc.
menus era sota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
Twisted-mind

I am a high schooler and i don't trust any of my classmates for they've been known to steal my work I thank you though
Old 02-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
menus era sota

oh okay.
middle schoolers? they're usually keen to hangout with older people.
or just find somebody retared (not metally - you know what i mean )
Old 02-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
Twisted-mind

I can't trust them either lets just say my family makes it hard for me to meet people without conflict
Old 02-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #6
Tam Li Hua

If you feel inspired, go ahead and start on the next book. You can type the first one out as you feel like it, and keep it until you are able to go to a publisher.

I didn't trust anyone in my high school either, so I -totally- get where you are coming from on -that-. However, have you ever thought of asking a teacher or someone for advice? Or perhaps emailing a few publishers?
Old 02-05-2009, 06:15 PM   #7
Mealla

I wouldn't trust anyone else either. If you don't have anyone else you trust to type it up, I'd suggest either just doing it a little at a time, or there's also that voice software where you speak into a microphone and it types it out. There are sometimes errors, so you'd have to proof read it, but you should definitely look over and edit it again anyway. Also, such software might be pricey.

Whatever you decide for what you have written, I'd suggest typing straight into the computer in the future unless it interferes with your creative process. Makes things easier if you can stand to type it out to begin with, though I admit inspiration sometimes comes when you don't have a computer handy and you simply must write it down with whatever you have available, even if that means scrawling it on a restaurant napkin with a broken pencil. Good luck, by the way.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #8
menus era sota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mealla
Also, such software might be pricey.

Limewire?

*message too short*
Old 02-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #9
JCC

Why don't you type it up yourself?
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
menus era sota

- can't be bothered. i never can either. i'd rather write everything out by hand, it's faster (for formal typing anyway)
Old 02-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #11
Xombie

So, who do you expect to type it for you?
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #12
menus era sota

Quote:
Originally Posted by menus era sota
get somebody else to type it for you - i use high schoolers to word procces my papers - quick and cheap.

*message too short*
Old 02-16-2009, 12:23 PM   #13
Twisted-mind

I've found a publisher and i am typeing it out it's just im lousey at typeing is all and i merely wanted opinions which i thank you for
Old 02-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #14
Man In Room 5

Learning to type is pretty easy once you get into it. Also, typing is a great way to get motivated for creative writing later on. Anytime I have trouble getting into the mood to create something new I merely type up some of my hand written notes. In a few minutes it gets ideas going and I'm writing something new.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:19 AM   #15
Twisted-mind

I started out hand writing everything and finished the book, i've tried typeing it for four months now and got upset with my mounting ideas so i started [i]typeing a seperate book without a written copy. The guy that was helping me to publish my book neglected to tell me that i am underaged and that it's against the law for me to publish a book right now so my mind just kinda dryed up on me
Old 05-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #16
Man In Room 5

I'm not sure where you live or how old you are but it shouldn't be against the law for you to publish a book. If you're a minor then it may be against the law for you to sign a publishing contract without parental consent but I can't imagine what else would be illegal about it.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:25 AM   #17
Twisted-mind

wouldn't know i never heard of it being against the law until a few months ago he didn't give a lot of detail
Old 05-17-2009, 06:59 PM   #18
June

I hope that you pursue getting your work published!
There must be a way.

I get what you're saying about typing it up; I wrote a novella, partly hand written, typed it up, than finished writing the first draft, than the second, and had some people read it, got some feed back, and now I just need to read through reread through, rereread through, edit, edit, edit, and so on, but I haven't gotten my self to do that for a very long time now... It's just sitting on my computer, a useless unedited piece... Until I finally do something!
(I would someday, maybe, like to see it published too, but I feel so far from it right now...)

Sorry, that was a whole lot just about me...
All the best with your story!
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:28 PM   #19
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted-mind View Post
I'm done, I've finshed writing my book so now what? I know I should type it out but the whole process seems too frustrating. I'm trying to publish but in the meantime what do I do? Start the second book or a different series perhaps. Any body on this site have some tips?
Most publishing houses won't take a handwritten manuscript.

In order to get your MS published, it's standard with most publishers that the piece is typed in 12 pt, Times New Roman or Courier New font (or whatever format is stated in their guidelines), on quality 8.5 by 11 paper. It varies, though.

This site might help you: http://www.write-and-publish-fiction...pt-format.html

In the meantime, you need to revise the shit out of your MS to ensure most, if not all, errors have been eliminated. Does your plot tie together? Are your characters fleshed out enough? Is there anything you might need to add or omit? These are a few things you might want to keep in mind while you're revising. Remember, the first book is always hardest to sell. Got to make the best impression you can.

As for the whole being too young to publish, that's bullshit. There's no age limit with writing. You could be five and still publish a book (and it has happened.) Honestly, it just comes down to the marketability of your story.

Hope that helped.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #20
Twisted-mind

No he wouldn't even look at it he had said I had to be 18 or he couldn't even talk to me about, I was typeing it up for him too but he said i was too young