Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
Mystery

Question I need some help please

how can i explain to my parents what goth is?!?
there very shallow minded and don't understand things or metaphors.
anyone got any ideas?
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
Solumina

Tell them that it is about the music and introduce them to some of it, personally my mom is a huge fan of Siouxsie & the Banshees as well as the Cure, you may be surprised at what your parents end up liking, though you may want to hold off on playing anything extreme for them.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:12 AM   #3
Man In Room 5

Solumina is right. Try to show your parents Siouxsie & the Banshees or the Cure. They are both pretty good goth bands which aren't too scary for outsiders. A lot of goths don't like them but you could also use HIM and Evanescence too. Many people here wouldn't consider them real goth bands but if your parents aren't real goths either then they will hardly be able to notice the fine degrees which separates mallgoth from the other goth styles.

Mallgoth is the overly cute (and often annoying) aspect of goth but it's a great example to give outsiders when you need to provide positive images that the general public (ie: stupid mainstreamers) can easily digest. So start off selling them HIM and Tim Burton to get them comfortable with darker imagery before trying to justify you're interest in anything deeper or more complex. After you sell them this introductory image of goth it might be best to only answer questions they ask and not needlessly volunteer anything too complex or anything an outsider might misinterpret. In short, sell back to them the Burtonesque image that the public has created and if that gets them out of your hair I'd drop the subject. If they stick their nose in deeper you can always use it as a chance to educate them about gothic art on a wider scale and tie goth music into goth literature or classic horror movies. (Notice I said classic, not slasher.)

This site has some well written and positive material on goth culture too.
http://www.gothicsubculture.com/index.php
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:35 AM   #4
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Tell them that it is about the music and introduce them to some of it, personally my mom is a huge fan of Siouxsie & the Banshees as well as the Cure, you may be surprised at what your parents end up liking, though you may want to hold off on playing anything extreme for them.
Yeah, parents can be full of suprises. I know I was suprised many years ago in my pre-goth days I found my father to be in possession of an Evanessance cd, I was quite suprised to find him in possession of metal. I haven't questioned him yet as to why he had it or more so why he was listening to it.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:58 AM   #5
House of Horrors

I agree with showing your parents The Cure and Siouxsie and the Banshees. You could also try telling them that goths are open to many types of music. You might also want to try and dispel some myths about goths such as that they are all satanists, are depressed/suicidal, always wear black etc.
I hope that helps.
House of Horrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
Mr E Nigma

Especially The Cure. At least, nearly all my friends' parents were fans of the cure already anyways. Once you establish that the cure had an influence on goth music they might be a bit more understanding. I'm not a huge fan of the cure myself, although apparently I was at one of their concerts while in the womb according to my mom. =shrugs= Maybe I just got sick of hearing it so much in the womb? I mean I'll listen to 'em and enjoy it if someone puts them on. But I don't personally click play on any of their songs.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
SiouxsiePernova

You could also play some Darkwave music for your parents. I introduced my mother to bands such as Sopor Aeturnus and the Ensemble of Shadows, Faith and the Muse and Black Tape for a Blue Girl, and she enjoyed them.
SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
Xenophile

Your parents don't care what goth is so they will never understand.
Xenophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:53 PM   #9
KontanKarite

I bet this is more about you looking like Satan's mime more than what kind of music you listen to.

I have NEVER heard a goth band that would lead cause for concern from a parent. Goth rock in the context of music is PERFECTLY non-offensive to casual listeners.

I mean, play one song by The Cure or Bauhaus and your folks might just think, "At least s/he's not listening to metal."

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:20 PM   #10
Lolly PopMuzik

I know this is Whining and all but Jaysus H Seamus...

Get some fucking perspective, would you?
Old 04-18-2009, 11:34 PM   #11
Beneath the Shadows

Why explain it? If your parents insist, just tell them to ask you specific questions, and simply answer as best as you can. If you don't know the answer to a question, be honest and tell them that you don't know.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:37 PM   #12
the-nihilist

Just say, "no comprende?" or some such. It's what I say when I get pulled over for speeding.
the-nihilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #13
JCC

You would have to explain your inclusion in this Germanic tribe to your mother? Fascinating. Was it she who travelled to Germania, or did your father go on an excursion to a more civilized land to imbue a woman with his barbarian seed only to steal his offspring and return them to his homeland?
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:28 PM   #14
voodoowitchdr

I agree that you should introduce some goth music to them first. Then slowly add more and more goth culture until they get the whole picture. Depending on what they can stand, "Blood & Fire" by Type O Negative isn't too heavy. When I first heard it it reminded me of The Doors. Anyways, good luck.
voodoowitchdr is offline   Reply With Quote