Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
Sephiroth Kali

Nails

So,

I'm a guy, and I've never done my nails before, well, some time back in high school, before my parents caught me. But anyway, I'm painting my nails, how do you do it without getting it all over the sides and under your fingers?

I could also use a guide to eyeliner.
Sephiroth Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
Pastamancer

It takes practice. A good thing to do to cut down on getting it everywhere is to not try to put on too much at once.
Pastamancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:39 AM   #3
House of Horrors

I'm not very neat when it comes to painting my nails, but when i do i either get my girlfriend to do it or i do it as best as i can and then use a cotton bud dipped in nail polish remover and use that to get it off of my fingers. Also, i find dipping your nails in cold water after painting them helps it dry quicker.
House of Horrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:45 AM   #4
Schazmyrrh

You'd have to practice holding the brush in a way most convenient for you. That's the most basic tip I can think of.
Schazmyrrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:31 AM   #5
Sephiroth Kali

Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
Angelic Dissonance

As for eyeliner, how many times have you done it in the mirror? People seem to be impressed with the fact that I can do it without one--And I am a guy. But maybe it's just where I did it so many times early on without a mirror and then checked it later. IDK, what problems are you having? How do you wear your eyeliner? And nailpolish just takes precision and practice. Put it on thick the first layer, but not TOO thick, and then thin the next layers.
Angelic Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
300pockets

Location: Planet Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Dimension 3
Two words:

Steady hands
300pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:04 PM   #8
Sephiroth Kali

lol, never used eyeliner. I like the Egyptian look though, I think thats what I want to go for.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:08 PM   #9
SiouxsiePernova

If you manage to paint your fingers as well as your nails, just wait until the polish dries and then peel it from your skin. Also, I paint the underside of my nails as well.

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:01 AM   #10
Schazmyrrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiouxsiePernova View Post
Also, I paint the underside of my nails as well.
Do a lot of people paint the underside of their nails? I've never done it before but now that you mention it... I think I'll practice that the next time I paint my nails since it always disturbs me to see the underside look so pale and flaky.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:35 AM   #11
SiouxsiePernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schazmyrrh View Post
Do a lot of people paint the underside of their nails? I've never done it before but now that you mention it... I think I'll practice that the next time I paint my nails since it always disturbs me to see the underside look so pale and flaky.
I was actually inspired by the tips on this web page:
http://www.waningmoon.com/nails/design.shtml

I don't know whether many other people do that, but I have found that it looks very effective on my extremely long nails.

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:12 PM   #12
300pockets

Location: Planet Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Dimension 3
Try some stick-on nail polish. It's available at other places, other than HT, but not in black.

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Acc...als-216661.jsp

I know it has doodles on it, you can always sharpie that out.

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Acc...Set-298955.jsp

That's neat too. If you don't fancy the blue and magenta, either save it until you do or give it to someone else.

BTW, with that set, the site's instructions are vague. What one ought to do with that is use one of the nail polishes and then put the sticker on over it, where the sticker fits into the bottom of the nail bed. It depends on how long you want your nails. If you want the French manicure look, go for that look by growing the nail out a bit, painting it black, and using the stickers.
300pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:54 AM   #13
Serren

It takes quite a bit of practice. Make sure you put on thin coats and let them dry before the next, most nail polishes need about 2-3 coats. It can be an idea to let someone else do your none dominant hand.

Failing that get a cotton bud with some nail polish remover on and get any you've missed with off.
Serren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:11 PM   #14
Sephiroth Kali

I got a few positive comments at work on the polish, I did one coat, but it was probably enough to look like I had more Anyway, they weren't near what I would call perfect, but first time for everything.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #15
Lady_Alyce

Location: A lovely place where the humidity melts your makeup off.
Buy a small flat paint brush. When you get ready to paint your nails, fill a bottle cap or put a few drops of nail polish remover in a bowl. After you paint your nails, daub the brush into the nail polish remover and clean the messy spots from the sides of your nail.
As for eyeliner, try to "feel" the eyelashes with the pencil or applicator or draw on the base of your eyelashes, then make the line bigger.
Lady_Alyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #16
CountVonCount

Quote:
If you manage to paint your fingers as well as your nails, just wait until the polish dries and then peel it from your skin. Also, I paint the underside of my nails as well.
Back in high school I grew out my nails and filed them to points and found that painting the underside was a great way to unsure they're safety (slamming, jamming or just plain tearing after hot showers). Definetly wait until the polish is dry before you do anything, you'll just make a mess of yourself and surroundings otherwise. I used a Qtip and nail polish remover to clean up the edges.

My desire to go to a nail salon and get 2inch black talons has been resurrected. One day...one day...
CountVonCount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:51 PM   #17
Angelic Dissonance

If you use a pink eraser to massage your nails, they become better, harder, stronger, faster.
Angelic Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:07 AM   #18
Schazmyrrh

Quote:
I was actually inspired by the tips on this web page:
http://www.waningmoon.com/nails/design.shtml

I don't know whether many other people do that, but I have found that it looks very effective on my extremely long nails.
Thanks that's another motivation to grow my nails longer again. They've looked harmless for the longest time now.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #19
Pineapple_Juice

*Sob* I so wish I didn't bite my nails. I'd just love long, lovely, elegant nails. Pus I have really long fingers so it'd really heighten the effect.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #20
Feminazi

Don't shake.
Feminazi is offline   Reply With Quote