Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 03-22-2006, 10:38 AM   #1
horrorgirl

Looking for non synthpop industrial music

I am looking to buy some new industrial cds. Since I have been out of the loop for a few years I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I have a ton of Minsistry and Skinny Puppy so that is covered.I also have early Front 242 and Nitzer Ebb. I can't stand synthpop, but that is all I am finding. Does anybody make guitar driven industrial music any longer or is it dead? I am purchasing some Rammstein this month and also some In Extremo. I know that In Extremo are mostly metal but they still have some industrial elements. Please help!!!!!

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:42 AM   #2
tenet_2012

Static X, NIN, Zeromancer, KMFDM, MDFMK, Cradle, and the greatest industrial album ever: Skinny Puppy's The Process.

--Geisha
tenet_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:58 AM   #3
horrorgirl

I have a ton of KMFDM. I forgot to mention them. I can't stand NIN so that is out. I will look into some of the others. Thanks. :-)

My personal Skinny Puppy favorite is Rabies.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:10 AM   #4
tenet_2012

Wumpscut, Velvet Acid Christ, Icon of Coil, Apoptygma Berserk, Theatre of Tragedy, Juno Reactor...

--Geisha
Old 03-22-2006, 11:19 AM   #5
horrorgirl

I have some Wumpscut, but their newer stuff sounds too synthpoppy for me. Apop is also too synthpop. Guitar....I need guitar!!!!!!!! Do you know of any more angsty, angry German type industrial bands? Hell, they can even be borderline metal like In Extremo.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:21 AM   #6
JuliaGaltic

Can you give me a few more examples of bands you do like? Do you want them to not have an electronic feel at all, or is it ok if you mix guitar with electronics?

Let me know, I'd love to help if I could.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:21 AM   #7
tenet_2012

Ever heard of OhGr?

If so, did you like that style of Industrial?

Nitzer Ebb style. You might want to check out:

http://www.dancing-ferret.com/

--Geisha
Old 03-22-2006, 11:25 AM   #8
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaGaltic
Can you give me a few more examples of bands you do like? Do you want them to not have an electronic feel at all, or is it ok if you mix guitar with electronics?

Let me know, I'd love to help if I could.
As far as industrial is concerned my favorite bands are probably Meat Beat Manifesto, Skinny Puppy and Ministry. I want them to have an electronic feel but I want that to take second seat to the guitar/drums. Meaning that I guess I like a really heavy sound that is on the angry side. Meat Beat Manifesto is a special case because Jack Dangers is brilliant.All of the industustrial/electronic music he has made doesn't sound like anybody else.I can't stand anything nu-metal/ Marilyn Manson so anything sounding like that is automaticvally out.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:27 AM   #9
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenet_2012
Ever heard of OhGr?

If so, did you like that style of Industrial?

Nitzer Ebb style. You might want to check out:

http://www.dancing-ferret.com/
Yep...have heard of OhGr. Had the CD but the ex took it. Dancing Ferret is mainly a synthpop label, isn't it?

Old 03-22-2006, 11:33 AM   #10
tenet_2012

Ministry and Skinny Puppy are on Dancing Ferret. So is Carafax Abby, Cruxshadows, Tapping the Vein, Corvus Corax, and ThouShaltNot... very good Industrial label. In fact, probably the best.

--Geisha
Old 03-22-2006, 11:36 AM   #11
horrorgirl

I just listened to some Gothminister and that sounded pretty good so I have hope. So Dancing Ferret is putting out the reisuues of Skinny Puppy and Ministry? I didn't know that. The copies of Skinny Puppy and Ministry that I have are from over 15 years ago. See, I have been out of the loop when it comes to industrial. ;-)

Old 03-22-2006, 11:36 AM   #12
tenet_2012

SPV Records... damn. I thought I knew that one.

Sanctuary... I'm off today.

--Geisha
Old 03-22-2006, 11:39 AM   #13
horrorgirl

Thanks for the help so far. :-)

Old 03-22-2006, 11:43 AM   #14
JuliaGaltic

Here's the bands I could think of, although, I think, most of these would be considered more gothic than industrial. Worth checking out though.

Clan of Xymox
Concrete Blonde
Faith and the Muse
Switchblade Symphony
Blutengel (might be a little too electronic for you, but they are great)
Hanzel und Gretyl (more on the metal side but not electronic at all and fun to listen to)

Most of these aren't new bands so I'm sure you've heard of a few of them.

Also, I shop for industrial/gothic/EBM music at these two sites:

www.metropolis-records.com
www.musicnonstop.co.uk

If you get on their mailing list, they send you e-mails of the newest releases and sometimes have links in the e-mails that allow you to listen to clips of the music.

Hope this helps a little.

*edit: Just remembered, there is also Rosetta Stone and Mentallo the Fixer, I think those might be more up your alley.. I'll keep thinking
Old 03-22-2006, 11:47 AM   #15
horrorgirl

I have a lot of what you listed but I will look into Hanzel und Gretyl. Thanks for the help! :-)

Old 03-22-2006, 11:48 AM   #16
tenet_2012

Thanks for making this thread. I have opened my old Industrial playlists and am enjoying it immensely.

Do you like pure Industrial like Aphex Twin or Autrechre?

--Geisha
Old 03-22-2006, 11:55 AM   #17
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenet_2012
Thanks for making this thread. I have opened my old Industrial playlists and am enjoying it immensely.

Do you like pure Industrial like Aphex Twin or Autrechre?
Have heard of those bands but have not heard them. I usually go for hybrid industrial/guitar. I didn't get too much into industrial when I was younger because I was already into hardcore punk,goth, and deathrock. I really want to expand my industrial cd collection because it is the only genre under the 'goth' umbrella that I haven't explored fully. I think I have over 600 goth/punk/deathrock/etc... cds so far.....and they are all out of order in my cd books. UGH! I also would like to get more into metal.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:02 PM   #18
tenet_2012

Rip them onto your computer. Then no more organization problems.

Warning: I ripped about 1200 discs on my computer. It is a lot of work. But worth it. I am still organizing.

If you want to "file share" google DC++. It is the last safe free file sharing program. Do not use blubster! It will crash your computer!

--Geisha
Old 03-22-2006, 12:10 PM   #19
horrorgirl

I actually have a lot of room on my computer so I might do that. I haven't bought that much music in the last few years because I was so discouraged after I stopped djing.I don't have to buy specific cds to use in clubs any longer so I can now buy what I want.. Next month I will be buying all industrial and old school rap cds. I have the Acid program on my computer and I would like to make some really good mixed cds. I want to do an old school rap meets industrial kind of thing.I have been told that I am really good at mixing, not trying to toot my own horn or anything. *cough*

Old 03-22-2006, 12:13 PM   #20
tenet_2012

Make sure you rip them as mP3 and not wav or you will fill your hard drive up really quick.

Check out Reverend Horton Heat. They are a little more psychobilly than industrial. They sound a lot like Nitzer Ebb.

--Geisha
Old 03-22-2006, 12:43 PM   #21
pitseleh

I don't listen much to the industrial/rock stuff, to be honest. I like the early ones like Cabaret Voltaire, Wermut (actually more neo-folk) and Throbbing Gristle, and like tenet mentioned - Autechre and Aphex Twin. Although I would say that's closer to drill n' bass.

There's one Norwegian band that's worth mentioning, though, and that's Seigmen. I'm not sure exactly who, but a lot of those guys are now known as Zeromancer. Who are nowhere near as good as Seigmen. If you can get a hold of their albums, "Radiowaves" is a damn near perfect blend of heavy, dark metal and industrial beats. Classic. The one before that, "Metropolis", sounds less technologically advanced, but is also really good. An English version of this album was released, but I think the vocals on the original one sound better, plus some of the lyrics are not well translated. "Radiowaves" is all in English.

Yeah, so definitely get that one...

I can't think of any other bands right now. Maybe Isis? You've probably heard them already... They're a (mostly) instrumental metal band, but especially the earlier albums, "Celestial" for instance, definitely have industrial leanings.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:57 PM   #22
chelseagirl

You may want to check out the Deathstars (my newest favorite band), Kovenant, Eisbrecher, Megaherz, and maybe Oomph!
chelseagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:05 PM   #23
horrorgirl

I have one Kovenant album and it's pretty good. I have heard samples from the other three and the only one that I sort of liked was Eisbrecher. I'm too picky for my own good.

Thanks to everybody,again, for the help. :-)

Old 03-22-2006, 02:10 PM   #24
horrorgirl

Just heard the newest Zeromancer album and I must say that it sounds like poop. It sounds exactly like VNV Nation and all of those clone bands. UGH!!!!! Give me guitars or give me death!!!!!!!!

Old 03-22-2006, 02:13 PM   #25
tenet_2012

Hahahaha....

I am listening to my extensive DDR collection. (DDR stands for Dance, Dance Revolution, for those that didn't know)

Can't get anymore candy/house techno than that.

VnV Nation fucking rules, by the way.

--Geisha