Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 09-01-2006, 05:50 AM   #1
Don't Look Behind You

Location: a russian, vienna-educated, living in the Netherlands. beat that.
What is the difference??

I am TERRIBLY sorry to have to create a whole new thread for this silly little thing but..........

.........what the HELL is the difference between a vampire and a, how was that again, oh, yeah a sanguinarius?

I was picking around in the net and I came upon this term and I could find no definition what so ever of what a sanguinarius might be. There are only a whole bunch of forums with vampire picturs all over the place where the members discuss how they drink blood and how they are "sangs".
No definition in wikipedia....nothing.

So PLEASE someone explain to me what a sanguinarius is before I explode.
--If you want to love me you'll have to love my shadow. This black creature that is stuck to my feet and that hates the light whithout which it wouldn't exist. Sometimes, I think it is more me than I am. Please be gentle as you make my shadow white.

-- On soft pillows you won't ride into eternity and spilling your blood you won't get out of eternity again.
Don't Look Behind You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:03 AM   #2
Delkaetre

A sanguinarius is what you claim to be when you don't want to call yourself a vampire, but are still the exact same kind of posing twit to pretend to be a vampire.
This from experience with one.
It's pretty much the snootier, more stuck up version. Like spelling it 'vampyr' instead of 'vampire'.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
Godslayer Jillian

Hey, I say vampyre ¬¬.
But, anyway, yeah, a sanguinarius is a vampyre Eldritch (you see how Eldritch doesn't call himself a goth?)

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 06:21 AM   #4
Don't Look Behind You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre
A sanguinarius is what you claim to be when you don't want to call yourself a vampire, but are still the exact same kind of posing twit to pretend to be a vampire.
This from experience with one.
It's pretty much the snootier, more stuck up version. Like spelling it 'vampyr' instead of 'vampire'.
That's what I thought....but when I read people that called themselves "Sangs" discuss how much blood a day they need and how to draw blood out of their fingers less painfully and, oh no, would they die if they stoped drinking blood????? I got confused. Those are real people that drink their OWN blood, think it is necessary for their survival and and.......damn is that stupid!

And those were "gothic" forums................arrrrrrr, this is really going to turn into a rant, infact, it sucessfully is one already or will be after all the flaming I get for asking this but, but I really want to ask this

Soooooooooooooooooooooo, how many of you are vampi- oh no, I meant Sanguiariuses?
--If you want to love me you'll have to love my shadow. This black creature that is stuck to my feet and that hates the light whithout which it wouldn't exist. Sometimes, I think it is more me than I am. Please be gentle as you make my shadow white.

-- On soft pillows you won't ride into eternity and spilling your blood you won't get out of eternity again.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:19 AM   #5
angel011

"Sangs" drink other people's blood, too (voluntarilly given); it is possible to find discussions about the most clean method to take blood (just sucking it out of a cut, or, worse, attempting to bite someone, might result in an infection). Intersting conversations. *chuckle*

Anyway, folks who are more seriously into it would tell you that, while the blood-taking does make them healthier, it is not known that anyone ever died because he or she didn't take blood.

Oh, and in case I left the wrong impression: no, I'm not a sanguinarius.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:28 AM   #6
Jupetta

Sangs are vampires that drink blood... I believe that there are other types of vampires... such as the Sadist Vampire who feeds off of the negativity of others.
Jupetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:55 PM   #7
Don't Look Behind You

as far as I know, vampires are mythologocal figures that are "undead" and drink blood. And as mythological creatures, they do not exist, or at least are not a common phenomenon entcountered on a daily basis.

what other KIND of vampires do you propose there to "be"?

Old 09-06-2006, 02:59 PM   #8
She_Is_My_Sin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupetta
Sangs are vampires that drink blood... I believe that there are other types of vampires... such as the Sadist Vampire who feeds off of the negativity of others.

Isn't that just people sucking things like emotion or whatever? If someone enjoys sucking happiness out of others no matter what, wouldn't that just count as bullying?

I'm getting myself confused.

*scuttles off*
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:16 PM   #9
Delkaetre

If you get vibe vamps, then technically I'm one... after all, I feel happier and healthier when there are others nearby, especially if they are capable of engaging in a good debate/rant. And I feel all.. shmeh if I'm not around people for days. And yet, I am not a vampire, a sang, or any of that guff.

I know the taste of blood, but it's not my fault. Lots of nosebleeds means you get used to the taste of blood pretty quickly.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Old 09-06-2006, 05:14 PM   #10
Godslayer Jillian

They're called psychic vampyres.
But no, Delkaetre, you wouldn't be one. Just as blood, psychic vampyres drain the happiness/life-force of others; which means that they do not absorb it, they usurp it.
A psychic vampyre isn't someone that feels happy among happy people, but that when is unhappy, needs to bring everyone down. A severely zealous psychic vampyre will argue that he takes the happiness out of people and accruing it as his. You could compare it with a form of "spiritual" sadism.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:23 AM   #11
Delkaetre

Meh, just going by the interesting claims and comments, though after your straightening out there I could swear a couple of the PVC/Cyber-Girls are therefore psychic vampires. Never have I seen a bitchier and more tormenting people.
I know I'm human, purely and nothing but (despite occasionally thinking it would be amusing to be otherwise). And having dealt with people who think they're other than entirely human, I have decided never to inflict such a thing upon others.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:31 AM   #12
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I have come across the term vampanese in cyberspace, but do not find it in dear Merriam-Webster's disctionary, Gutenberg.org or Wiki-land. Allegedly it is a vampire that doesn't just drink a little blood (leaving the victim alive), but drinks all of the blood in the victim's body.

Godslayer, you are obviously well read, have you seen "vampanese" used in Gothic Literature? In my (limited) reading I have not come across it anywhere.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:29 AM   #13
Godslayer Jillian

I don't think I have either. I don't know how far does the rule go that if you drink all of a victim's blood, he will take you to the afterlife along. I know Anne Rice said it, but I don't remember seeing it in Dracula.
There are some references of books talking about "Vampaneses" on Google, though.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 09-07-2006, 05:38 AM   #14
Slap Your Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Hey, I say vampyre ¬¬.
But, anyway, yeah, a sanguinarius is a vampyre Eldritch (you see how Eldritch doesn't call himself a goth?)
Indeed. A Vampyre Eldrich =] I also say vampyre as well. =\
Old 09-07-2006, 05:44 AM   #15
Slap Your Love

The Cirque du Caprice books talk of Vampaneses. That's all I know of this and there are seval short blogs and stories on them if you google it as Jillian said.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:58 AM   #16
Delkaetre

... this altogether too much pointless differentiation for me. I think I shall only use varying names for 'vampires' if I'm playing V:tM.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:32 PM   #17
She_Is_My_Sin

Darren Shan uses Vampaneese in his vampire saga's.
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:37 PM   #18
Delkaetre

That might be where it's from... I used to read those.
There seem to be a lot of odd and unusual names related to vampirism, though. It's attracted more odd references than even lycanthropy!
Most unusual vampire references were made by modern vampire authors trying to spice up their fiction- the words 'sanguinarius' and 'vampaneese' would seem to be excellent examples of this.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:52 PM   #19
c130

A potato by any other name is just as good to make chips out of.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:58 PM   #20
Delkaetre

Aye, but calling it something else is confusing, apparently arbitrary, and a little pointless methinks...
Though there's a good chance that there are reasons beyond modern authors taking moods for the differing names. Perhaps modern blood-drinkers want something to differentiate themselves from V:tM LARPers?
Old 09-07-2006, 04:00 PM   #21
c130

Perhaps they would look upon our distaste of their definitional subdivisionism in the same light as we look upon those that group goths and emo's together simply because many of us wear black...

They might argue "so what if we both drink blood? I am not a vampire, you uneducated twat!"
Old 09-07-2006, 04:34 PM   #22
shesarebel62442

do any of u actually drink blood?? lol
shesarebel62442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:59 PM   #23
Godslayer Jillian

I might drink yours until you learn to type well.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 09-07-2006, 06:04 PM   #24
Maj.Bromley

OO, Im scared now, Jillians gonna come to each of our bedsides tonight and drink all of our blood.. [puts down on a myspace chainmail bulletin]

Suicide is a fundamental human right. This does not mean that it is morally desirable. It only means that society does not have the moral right to interfere
-Thomas S. Szasz
Maj.Bromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 06:13 PM   #25
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
shesadriveby2...

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote