Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:00 PM   #1
Pyre

Emo

Most of you came to this thread thinking I am to rant about the mass of "emo" kids, and that you, too, can put your input in on how much you hate them. You were wrong, and I suggest you turn back now if you want to continue with the same mindset about emo kids that you currently have.

Emo is a term coined from the original phrase, Emotive Hardcore. It started out as a branch from the hardcore punk genre, beginning with the bands Rites of Spring and Embrace. The band Rites of Spring surprisingly sounds nothing as most of the bands of this day do which are also coined with the term emo. Why is this? Because this is REAL emo, not this neo-emo stuff that really is nothing more than a form of pop-punk music.
Most people also relate emo music with being really whiney and crying about one's problems. Yes, this can be an element of emo music, but think about all the other bands out there that also have lyrics based on a depressing time in their life. Most bands have emotive lyrics, but they are not all emo.
Read the following lyrics:
"The razor caressed my flesh and my arms turned red,
I feel a vast desire.
Years of pain are flowing down my arms.
Sweet, red, warm stream you drink, make me released.
Give me your hand, let me make you feel the ease,
in the bed of razors we bleed together."

How many of you think those are really emo lyrics? Those of you who said yes, tell me, do you think the metal band Children of Bodom is emo? Neither do I, yet those lyrics came from their song "Bed of Razors". Therefore, as I said, having "emo" lyrics does not make the band emo.

Moving on! The kids you see with the multi-coloured hair, pink eyeshadow, tight pants, etc. are also not emo. There's this thing called "scene," which basically means that these people try to fit into a particular group, but fail. But of course, society doesn't acknowledge this fact and automatically calls them the term which they have used, and in this case, it is "emo". Real emo kids dress normally, because they don't need a specific style to show who they are to the world, and because the emo genre branched from the hardcore genre anyway (much like how the gothic style now was once the punk style). Emo boys don't have the stereotypical emo haircuts, they don't wear makeup, they don't wear girl clothing, et al. They dress normally.

So, please, the next time you see a kid who looks like
this
this

or God forbid even this
please realize that these are not true emo kids, and if they feel the need to call themselves such, backhand them and give them a lesson about who they are.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:30 PM   #2
BlackButterfly

Awww... do I have to backhand them? The second one was pretty...

I think "scene" emos are cute(-loking)--they look like those dark dollfies I see at the doll shows...
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
BlackButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:37 PM   #3
Pyre

I don't mind the style, honestly, because I think a lot of them know how to look pretty, but I hate the fact that everyone calls them emos.

OH! And one other thing, real emo kids are like everyone else: MOST OF THEM DON'T CUT. I forgot to add that.

It perturbs me when everyone says such things about emo kids in a sincere way, when years ago they said the exact same things about goth kids. Did you guys enjoy it when everyone made such assumptions and jokes about goth kids? I don't think so, so why are you doing it to emo kids just because a group of people screwed them over, too?

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Old 12-02-2006, 06:47 PM   #4
Aude Sapere

Ehh...the "emo takeover" (now cleared up as "scene") used to bother me until i realized that most of them probably are not cutters who burden the world with thier problems, just like all goths are not out to eat your babies. Now I am just generally annoyed that i am seeing "scene" everywhere, from the mall, to my school, where a great deal of former cheerleading whores have tried and failed to pull off the look. And that Hot Topic has conformed to it. Thanks to your informative article, i have realized that my previous assumptions about "emo", along with some of my friends, were in fact, inncorrect, for that, I thank you. And i think that last picture was kind of funny...
Aude Sapere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:58 PM   #5
BlackButterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aude Sapere
And i think that last picture was kind of funny...
(Ugh... just noticed my previous typo...)

Yup, a little "[scene] emo gangsta" action is always funny...
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
BlackButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:06 PM   #6
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Sterotypes are overrated anyway. All I know is that if they mind their own business, then I have no reason to bother them.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:53 PM   #7
Godslayer Jillian

Hah, I loved the Children of Bodom point.
Even my favorite band, London After Midnight, has a song (and my favorite too) that says "I'd sooner slit my wrist and risk discovery of Hell than stay another moment here where certain devils dwell"
Are those kids that have emo haircuts, cut themselves, and whine about being dumped real? Yes.
Are they really Emo? Here's where the discussion begins.
Meh, I'll call them Scene Kids from now on until an even better term comes up. Call it a Canis Lupus, call it a wolf; it's still the same animal.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:01 PM   #8
Pyre

I refer to them as "scene" because it's such a broad term that can be used to describe any sort of poseurish ways toward any sort of culture. And it also seems that most scene females are bi these days, which I have termed to be trendsexual rather than bisexual. I used to believe one could be bi, but the more people I see who use the term, the less I believe it to be possible.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:09 PM   #9
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyre
which I have termed to be trendsexual rather than bisexual.
Haha, I love you and I'll kidnap you and keep you in my closet.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:20 PM   #10
Pyre

Hahaha, nice. I always tell people I am to live in their closet, anyway. Make room, Jillian, and prepare the cookies!

Old 12-03-2006, 11:10 AM   #11
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I have heard some good music come out of the Emo sub-culture.
Sometimes I wonder if some of the animosity Goths feel towards Emos stems from them observing something new arise that may replace and obsolete Goth sub-culture (even though you and I know Goth is here to STAY!)

Although I like the intensity of the feelings expressed by some Emos, there a lot of sheep (more like lemmings) that follow the stupid fad of suicide attempts and cutting. I am not invalidating those young people who have serious issues, I would like to help those who have a genuine need for help (and these people span much more than mere Emo culture, and are young and old), but there are the mindless ones who merely imitate, that I pity.

If any thinking takes place, one realizes that as one tries to avoid pain, it merely intensifies, until at last, mere existence is painful. Roll with the punches. It is better to suffer life's slings and arrows (to quote Shakespeare) so as not to miss the great heights of life's joys too.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:19 PM   #12
Slap Your Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crying_Crimson_Tears
Sterotypes are overrated anyway. All I know is that if they mind their own business, then I have no reason to bother them.
All I have to say is very well said C_C_T.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:23 PM   #13
Pyre

Stereotypes are a sign of ignorance, and I despise general ignorance, especially when people use such ignorance in such a way as to hurt others.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:39 PM   #14
Mephistophelian

Quote:
I refer to them as "scene" because it's such a broad term that can be used to describe any sort of poseurish ways toward any sort of culture. And it also seems that most scene females are bi these days, which I have termed to be trendsexual rather than bisexual. I used to believe one could be bi, but the more people I see who use the term, the less I believe it to be possible.

-.-

I am bisexual. But I am not bisexual because it's a trend to be bisexual.
I just so happen to like girls as much as I like guys. And I am being truthful in that.
There is no inbetween. I am just as happy to date a girl as I am a guy.

Love knows no bounds. {Besides animals. I draw the line at dating animals.}
Mephistophelian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:44 PM   #15
Mephistophelian

Emo..
Emo is a genre of music that a bunch of people turned into a side warped subculture.

-shrugs-

I do not see what the big deal is.

I once had a friend who called herself 'emo'.

She once tried to whack me with a pole and I sprayed Lysol on her.
She didn't seem that depressed to me. And she listened to the Fugazis.

{I have no idea why I am telling you this}
Old 12-08-2006, 09:14 PM   #16
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I must wonder why they generalize the sterotype emo to cutting, I know more "preps" and Goths than emos who cut. But that's just me, but like I said....sterotypes are WAY overrated.

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 12-08-2006, 10:13 PM   #17
Rizash

Who knows... but goths get steriotyped worse.... To be honest who gives a rats ass... there is only one good reason to classify subcultures.... so we can socialize with each other on boards like this.... There is no other reason to classify or even bother to steriotype other people who imitate looks, etc.... Hell, as far as goth goes... Johnny Cash wore all black... and sometimes even looked goth, yet I doubt he listened to goth music.... "The man in black" had his reasons.... who cares why people dress how they do.... IMHO its fine to vent on boards in the form of flaming... its better than insulting or being pissed off at people in person just because of their appearance.... After all... we should treat others as we hope to be treated....
Rizash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:48 AM   #18
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistophelian
-.-

I am bisexual. But I am not bisexual because it's a trend to be bisexual.
I just so happen to like girls as much as I like guys. And I am being truthful in that.
There is no inbetween. I am just as happy to date a girl as I am a guy.

Love knows no bounds. {Besides animals. I draw the line at dating animals.}
I agree completely. I have been bisexual before it was a trend. And really where I live, being anything but straight is almost a crime. I am bisexual. I just feel the way I do. I like girls as much as I like guys. It's true, love does know no bounds. It will always be that way. No matter what. But I am happy being me, bisexual.

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 12-09-2006, 11:01 AM   #19
bulletsinmyhead

Quote:
Hahaha, nice. I always tell people I am to live in their closet, anyway. Make room, Jillian, and prepare the cookies!
haha. Funny...can I come?
Old 12-09-2006, 11:09 AM   #20
bulletsinmyhead

I have to agree that stereotypes are way overated. They even have songs now that make fun of emos. Things like "cheer up emo kid" and "I must be emo", and even though some find it funny, I'm sure some emos can find that offensive.

Change of subject. I am straight, however, I am good friends with many bisexual and homosexual people. There is nothing wrong with people attracted to the same sex.
Love is love. No matter which way you look at it.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:34 AM   #21
Draconysius

I agree with bulletsinmyhead. I mean, it's fun for a while to laugh at the stereotypes, but you have to remember that not all "emos" are walking stereotypes as well. I've never gotten to know an "emo", so I honestly can't say it's self-mutilation or angst, or what. Therefore, I don't think I have a right to be mocking this subculture. I do, however, feel the right (and NEED) to mock walking stereotypes, though, no matter what denomination.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:56 AM   #22
Pyre

I have nothing against gay or bi people, I am simply finding it more difficult to find real bis within the crowd these days. People are so fake, and most of them think that being bi will get them attention. If you truly are bi, that's great. But to those who are doing it for fun, I want to backhand them all.

I don't see the relevancy in the story of your friend, Mephisto, because no one here said emos are depressed.

Old 12-09-2006, 12:18 PM   #23
Draconysius

Quote:
I have nothing against gay or bi people, I am simply finding it more difficult to find real bis within the crowd these days. People are so fake, and most of them think that being bi will get them attention. If you truly are bi, that's great. But to those who are doing it for fun, I want to backhand them all.

I don't see the relevancy in the story of your friend, Mephisto, because no one here said emos are depressed.
I'm a real bi. Want me to prove it? Well I'll admit I'm a queer/fag/etc. at the drop of a hat just to strike one for my gay brethren, and I actually have boned a dude. Tee-hee-hee!
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:18 PM   #24
Mephistophelian

Quote:

I'm sorry sometimes I say things that have no reverance to what is being said. I don't know why but I do.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:03 PM   #25
BLEED REBELION!!!

I realy dont care what subculture ppl consider them selfs if there a decent person and i like there company ill hang with them. I dont think any one reall knows what they are talking about bcuz ive been called emo goth punk skater etc generaly i dress in whatever i pick up off the floor in the morning i do tend to buy "gothic" clothes . and "emo" music isnt that bad i like it. hey pire guy in the second pic was cute tee hee hee.
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote