Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:49 PM   #1
angst-zine

Seeking writers

Gothic Angst Webzine is looking for writers! We want to publish original short writings. Please contact us at:

chris@angst-zine.com

I thought this would be the best place to start. Cheers!

Chris Stead
Webmaster, Gothic Angst Webzine
angst-zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
Vyvian Blackthorne

I'd love to be apart of that. I am an aspiring and unpublished writer! I'll make sure to look into that!
Vyvian Blackthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
Godslayer Jillian

Hey, angst-zine, haven't seen you in a while. And this interests me.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:14 PM   #4
Vyvian Blackthorne

I just sent you an email, angst magazine.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I will send you a collection of my short stories as well.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:46 PM   #6
Vyvian Blackthorne

HumanePain (a.k.a. the coolest guy on the boards), did you ever post any of your writings on the literature section? I'd love to read it if so!
Old 02-20-2007, 05:47 PM   #7
Vyvian Blackthorne

I've just emailed angst zine my work! perhaps this time I'll finally be published.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:49 PM   #8
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyvian Blackthorne
HumanePain (a.k.a. the coolest guy on the boards), did you ever post any of your writings on the literature section? I'd love to read it if so!
Oh yes, last year. If you wish to read any of them, click on my name to the left, and select "see HumanePain's homepage!" and go to the bottom of the page. That is where some of my stories are. Enjoy.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:54 PM   #9
Elliot

Cool. Are short stories the only thing you're looking for?

^^my post-rock/ambient band
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:33 PM   #10
angst-zine

Yipe! Sorry it's taken me a bit to get back to this. I have busy days and slow days. Right now it's crunch time. Nothing quite like being a math major. Anyway, to all that are interested, please feel free to send any work you would like to have included to the following (new) address:

submissions@angst-zine.com

Thanks a bunch!
Old 02-27-2007, 07:35 PM   #11
angst-zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot
Cool. Are short stories the only thing you're looking for?
Not really. We are looking for writings in general. Personally I would LOVE it if someone wanted to submit a philosophical work. It's my minor and personally I think it's fantastic. : ) Anyway, submit whatever you like and I will look it over.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:36 PM   #12
angst-zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Hey, angst-zine, haven't seen you in a while. And this interests me.
Jillian, yeah, it's been a hectic time. I am currently in my last quarter as a math major. After this it's all about finding a job and improving the webzine. Lots to do...
Old 02-27-2007, 09:25 PM   #13
angst-zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Spright
I'm working on something profoundly philosophical about the nature of existence. I haven't seen anyone else approach it in a similar sense. I will not be sending it to you though. You sound like a moron, and I don't want to send anything to idiots.
Ah, yes. You. I've seen posts from you. I'll just let you know now that this is the only response I'll give you. Please don't waste your time writing anything else in response to my posts. I don't get excited over instigators. Cheers.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:43 PM   #14
angst-zine

Quote:
I'm working on something profoundly philosophical about the nature of existence. I haven't seen anyone else approach it in a similar sense. I will not be sending it to you though. You sound like a moron, and I don't want to send anything to idiots.
Wait, I'm sorry. You will in fact get one more from me:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! You're some 19 year old that thinks he's going to change the face of metaphysical philosophy with some underdeveloped barely post-pubescent thoughts on existence?? Bishop Berkeley had an original idea at a little more than your age, which has some major holes in it, and I dare to say he was a fair genius at argumentation. I hardly believe that you could have something THAT earth-shattering come from you sophomoric faintly-college educated, post-high school sludge you call a brain. Don't talk to me, boy.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:02 PM   #15
angst-zine

Quote:
Yeah, that many adjectives and adverbs makes a cogent argument, or ad hominem. Why don't you prove that you have a grasp of writing? Show me a poem that you consider good that you have approved of your 'webzine.'

Apropos, I am more of an eruditional student than you think.
Ah, you've sucked me in. I was foolish enough to give you a second comment. This will truly be my last to you. I promise you this. I'll tell you what, young English student, as you seem to be, I understand argumentation. I also had no intent to argue with my last post, but rather to mock you. Clearly it bothered you that I took the time to give you a ribbing, otherwise you wouldn't have bothered to respond. Now, with regard to my writing prowess or lack thereof, you will not make me feel lesser with any insults you hurl. Furthermore, by simply espousing the lesson du jour from your latest course on writing you will not impress me. Another thought, simply being an "eruditional student" will not carry you far in the world of philosophy if you are planning on developing any kind of argument. By taking other's words and simply rearranging them you have successfully become a parrot. Polly want a cracker? Finally, large words, a fine writer, do not make. Go back to school, take a lesson or two on lucid writing, then come and try me again.

Super Spright duly ignored.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:07 PM   #16
angst-zine

Now, back to the topic at hand, I am looking for people that would like to have their words published in Gothic Angst Webzine. Please let me know if you are interested. Thank you those of you that have responded already. : )
Old 02-27-2007, 10:22 PM   #17
angst-zine

Quote:
Nice aversion from actually facing the argument. I guess when people call you on your shit you just fall into a textbook Anna Freudian defense mechanism.

I guess I was hoping for someone with the gall to support their argument. Everyone here may hate me, but they resoundingly agree that I do know my writing.

If you people wish to be recognized or 'published' go through me first before this tool. I will be sure to help who ever genuinely wants help. If you are just seeking my help because you want a pat on the back, piss off. I like to discuss writing with people who genuinely feel they suck at writing. You're not as good as you think you are, and neither am I.

Also, Angsty...one last thing.

I STUDY things BEYOND my curriculum. No one taught me how to use anapestic tetrameter to make a subtle onomatopoeia of a horse galloping, or iambic tetrameter to do the same effect for a clock. No one taught me what a bilabials are, or other linguistics. I look it up myself.

I don't just go into class, then go home do the work and sleep. I do my work and then read about things that interest me. Also, I am studying political philosophy on the side.

I don't need to prove myself to a math major. Your forte is mathematics, which I am also trying to dabble in (mainly quantum mechanics, which is absolutely fascinating). I think that you should stay away from writing. You don't know what you are getting into. It's more complicated than mathematics, and it's harder too.
Sadly, I make myself a liar and post for you yet again, however, you realize that character assassination is in fact quite a major argumentative fallacy. Well done. You just lost yourself an argument. My major is not what makes me skilled in argument nor does it diminish my skill, and I did not ask you to prove yourself. You chose to. Reading books in your spare time proves nothing. I do it too. Personally I am unimpressed. Also, please mind that Quantum Theory is actually a topic in pure Physics, not Mathematics, and it is introduced at the lower division level, and it uses some of the most base topics in mathematics at that level. Yet again I am unimpressed. I really am done now. There is no argument here, only your attempts at self-aggrandization. Enjoy stewing over this one.

Please don't tempt me to continue to point out your flaws. I am looking for people that want to have their works read by others. I am not looking for validation and I really am tired of this whole discussion. Have a good evening.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:54 PM   #18
angst-zine

Quote:
Non-sequitur logic, red herrings, strawman arguments, ad hominem, etc.

Why don't you actually ATTACK MY ARGUMENT (instead of me)? You're so damn afraid of me. Anyone can see that you can't prove to me you know what you are talking about. So prove to me you have a grasp of writing. Show me something other than William Faulkner, or Edgar Allan Poe. Show me something contemporary, or show me something that you've written. Shakespeare is also out of the question.

I don't want an obvious writer. I want someone you'd select as good writing, and I want you to support it. Don't run away from this challenge. This will show me, as well as others if you know what you are talking about. If you back down, you'll conclusively prove you're an invalid.

Also, it was a slip when I said mathematics in reference to QM, I meant physics. You were right about that.
I did attack you argument. I showed without equivocation that there, in fact, was no argument. Clearly you are hardly the philosopher that you think you are. As for writing in general, I have made no claim to be a literary expert. The only claims I have made are that you are aching for a fight, don't know how to argue and want to make yourself bigger than you are.

I am not an English major. I don't sit and read purely literary works. I work with philosophy and the occult. I read Kant, Descartes, Nietzsche, Schopenhauer, Fichte, Plato, Aristotle, Agrippa, Dee and the like. Please stop pressing me. At this point you are only showing that you are ignorant of how philosophical argumentation works.

Long and short, there has only been an argument from one side, mine, and you haven't met the challenge. You continue to change directions and try to draw this into a battle of literary merit. I stand by what I have said. I don't want to discuss this further, and I really won't.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:19 PM   #19
angst-zine

Quote:
I want you to prove what you know, that was the original argument. Either concede to my greater knowledge of writing, or prove you know more than me. Sink or swim. It's your choice, kid.

Ah! See, this is where the conversation went awry! My second comment had nothing to do with your your post regarding your "literary superiority." I paid no mind to the original challenge, since I hadn't even seen it prior to this post. This is the inherent problem. I also stated quite a way back that I made no claim to be a literary expert (see above). You may well know more about pure literature than I do. None the less, my claim stands i.e. you are looking for a fight and don't know how to argue. Hence your arguments have all fallen flat. Moreover, if you are to be the judge of whether I know more about writing than you do, then the judge is invested in a side.

Now, I might point out that the only person that is an idiot here is the one that takes off in a tear and belittles people they do not know. Furthermore, I still have a hard time believing you have any meaningful philosophy regarding existentialism in any way. You may degrade Nietzsche if you like. You really can't wound me with your words.

I am not about to carry this forward any further. If you want to tell everyone that you have read more pure literature than I have, please do. I made my literary foundation clear enough prior. I lay claim to Mathematics and Philosophy. That is as far as I will go on this topic. Oh, and by the way, Locke wasn't the difficult one of the three big Empiricists, Hume was. Now, I am going to turn in for the night.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:17 AM   #20
Born Again

Quote:
....I like to discuss writing with people who genuinely feel they suck at writing. You're not as good as you think you are, and neither am I.
Not meaning to intrude or anything, although, I am enjoying the dialogue. But, what exactly do you consider "good writing"?

Many people, such as myself, base a book's excellence off of the type of "mixed up" emotions they experience during their read. (Think "Huckleberry Fin") Some praise a book based off the amount of knowledge they acquire after reading it...and it's ability to change your opinion of a certain matter. (Think "A Farewell to Arms.") Otherwise, what makes stories such as these so prominent....and what does it take to mold such a creation, besides possessing actual "talent." (Think wit, life experiences, God's tribulations....)

This is the most important thing to know before becoming a proficient writer.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:21 AM   #21
angst-zine

Quote:
Did you not read? I study these things. I do not just read them. I give up on you. You just keep making strawman arguments and red herrings. Just do whatever you want, you're beyond help.
I don't honestly know what you want from me. I have given you the concession you wanted. I am no expert in literature. There was no strawman argument. I didn't choose some point that was weaker and attack it. Nor was there a red herring. You can't lead an argument astray that was never clear in the first place. Do you truly understand the terms you are throwing around?

I accept that I didn't approach your topic, which I didn't see. However it was more of a challenge, rather than an actual topic of argument or discussion. Much like a schoolyard brawl. I concede that I am not well studied in pure literature. You win. Concession. Now, the real problem is that for the fact that I concede I am not an expert, how does this prove you are?

Pure logic for a moment, friend:

Let us assume that if you are great, then I am not.
Also if you are greater than I, then I am lesser than you.
However, if I am not great, does this imply you are?

My claim: My lack of greatness in literature proves nothing regarding your relation to me, i.e. your superiority.

Proof:

Since we have only assumed a one-way inference then we know that A implies B does not necessarily mean B implies A. Hence my lack of greatness does not prove that you are great. Now let us suppose for a moment that if you are greater than I, then I am lesser than you. Symbolically, if C implies D then D implies C. We have shown, through my concession that I am not a literary great. Hence we can clearly see that you are trying to show that B implies C, but we know nothing of the relation of C and B, or in words we know nothing about whether my lack of greatness implies that you are greater than I am. By this then we still know nothing of you position, but rather solely my own. By this then we can conclude only what I claimed from the beginning which is that I am not an expert in literature (i.e. I am not a literary great), which implies nothing about you.

Q.E.D.

Welcome to pure logic. No fallacies, no extra words. You want it, you got it. Now where do you stand with your "superiority?" Is that a clear enough argument for the point?
Old 02-28-2007, 12:25 AM   #22
angst-zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again
Not meaning to intrude or anything, although, I am enjoying the dialogue. But, what exactly do you consider "good writing"?

Many people, such as myself, base a book's excellence off of the type of "mixed up" emotions they experience during their read. (Think "Huckleberry Fin") Some praise a book based off the amount of knowledge they acquire after reading it...and it's ability to change your opinion of a certain matter. (Think "A Farewell to Arms.") Otherwise, what makes stories such as these so prominent....and what does it take to mold such a creation, besides possessing actual "talent." (Think wit, life experiences, God's tribulations....)

This is the most important thing to know before becoming a proficient writer.
No intrusion. Thank you for a different perspective. Cheers!
Old 02-28-2007, 12:42 AM   #23
Tin_Lizzie

Chris, interesting diversion here! You sound like a cool guy, may I apologize for the Omega-Spright? His ego never ceases to amuse me. Anyway.

I took a look at your e-zine, and I might suggest you'd want to specify what you're looking for in a guidelines section, essentials such as manuscript format, genre, and length. Take a look at Duotrope's Digest, you can list your magazine there, too. Not that I'd ever tell an editor what to do. (Forgive me, we are not worthy, oh thou who holds our literary career in his blessed hands...) This is of course just a suggestion. *blush*
Tin_Lizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:24 AM   #24
angst-zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Lizzie
I took a look at your e-zine, and I might suggest you'd want to specify what you're looking for in a guidelines section, essentials such as manuscript format, genre, and length. Take a look at Duotrope's Digest, you can list your magazine there, too.
Thank you for your suggestion. I will definitely consider all of this. Honestly I don't have a particularly large set of guidelines. The big one is that it come from the Gothic community since that is what the webzine is all about. Thank you for your good ideas! : )
Old 02-28-2007, 09:15 AM   #25
Shyantra

WOW! *eyes are opened in shock* That was intense, but entertaining in the least. Amazing, truly spectacularly amazing! What a heated argument.

Anyway not why I came here. What I came here to say was is there a place one can go to see what your zine is all about before submitting into the unknown?