Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
Dancing_in_rain

Question Bodies: The Exhibit

Well...I went to see the Bodies Exhibit in New York in November of this year and, being the biology geek that I am, I loved it and learnt a lot from it.

A week ago, I saw the Bodyworlds II exhibit at my local science centre and loved it as well, though a little less than the one in New York.

For those of you not familiar with this exhibit, it involves the display of real bodies that have been plastinated and effectively dissected so as to show their interiors. There has been a lot of controversy about these exhibits, whether they are ethical, etc. All bodies exhibited belong to informed people who signed numerous consent forms accepting that their body be donated to this exhibit for plastination and exhibition. I found this exhibit brilliant, as it showed bodies under the naked truth (pardon the pun) and the real impacts of many situations such as smoking, strokes, kidney disease, breast cancer, heart attacks and even abnormal fetal development.

Have any of you seen the exhibit? If so, what did you think? Would you recommend it to others? Do you have thoughts on the ethical standpoint? Please share!

For more information, the website is below.
http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/intro.html

Yawn. This is rather tedious, is it not?

www.chansondeplume.blogspot.com
^Mon blog d'ecriture en francais. Veuillez lire et commenter!
Translation: My writing blog in french. Feel free to read and comment.

Dancing_in_rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
DeathChii

I went there when it was in toronto... twice
^___^ but I love science
From trashing this way and that
Its white tusks
Through human beings
Like crackling stalks
And to nothing less
I offer this suffering of my father
"The Offering" - Stan Rice
DeathChii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:39 PM   #3
Dancing_in_rain

It was neat eh? The one I saw here in Montréal was the same as the one in Toronto. Do you live in Canada? The thought escapes me...my cerebellum is fried and I don't remember anything.

It's rather ironic how biology, the study of life, is killing me.

Yawn. This is rather tedious, is it not?

www.chansondeplume.blogspot.com
^Mon blog d'ecriture en francais. Veuillez lire et commenter!
Translation: My writing blog in french. Feel free to read and comment.

Dancing_in_rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:28 AM   #4
thedoll

its a half hour away from my house, but i dont know if i could enjoy it asthetically, as i have no biological interests. do you think its still worth the fourty bucks even without the anatomy interest?

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:06 AM   #5
Cicero

If you enjoyed Bodyworlds (or any of the other plastination displays) you'd probably like the documentaries 'Anatomy For Beginners' and 'Autopsy' made by the original minds behind plastination. They're basically just human dissections on camera. 'Anatomy For Beginners' was the first thing I ever witnessed that actually managed to put me off my lunch (and almost off becoming a surgeon, but not quite).

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:38 AM   #6
ugh...

I got to go see Body Worlds II with my Anatomy Class. It made the cats we were dissecting look so... Sophomoric...

(and yes, sophomoric is the right word there)
ugh... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:38 AM   #7
Maggoty Anne

I would love to go see one of these exibits, insides are fascinating.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
Romantic Raven

Wow, this is amazing! I wish there were exhibitions of that sort in my country... *sigh* I can't say I like biology all that much, but yes, insides ARE fascinating.
"I have cultivated my hysteria with delight and terror. Now I suffer continually from vertigo, and today, 23rd of January, 1862, I have received a singular warning, I have felt the wind of the wing of madness pass over me." - Charles Baudelaire
Romantic Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:52 AM   #9
killer_asian_Dax

I went to see in in January in Las Vegas. To be honest, I was quite disappointed with it. I was more fascinated with the exhibit when the Discovery channel did a show about the exhibit. Seeing it in person was quite boring actually. Perhaps it was just me, but I really had so much fun I was seriously considering demanding my money back.

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:06 PM   #10
Drake Dun

I don't know if that's the same exhibit I have seen. I saw one at the Tokyo Forum called 人体の不思議 (jinntai no fushigi : "mysteries of the human body"). Some Japanese dudes carved up a bunch of "volunteer" Chinese people. I touched a human brain. Grooooooooooooosss.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:28 PM   #11
roserougesang

I agree with Romantic Raven, 'tis a pity there aren't any good exhibitions like that around in my country. Ah well, I might just borrow Cicero's anatomy DVD to compensate for that (and probably not be able to eat anything mushy for the next month but oh well )
No greater love than mine.
-Annie Lennox, Love Song For A Vampire-

Rouge Z. Hatter has FINALLY returned to Gnet!
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:21 PM   #12
Alaizabel Cray

I was going to go see it (or an exhibit like it) in L.A., but never got to. Next time I get the chance though, I'm so going.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:20 AM   #13
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Due to the graphic nature of this video, you have to sign in and confirm you are 18 to watch this, but I did not find it squeamish at all, absolutely fascinating!

Female autopsy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRAh3Qse-Us

WARNING:
The body was a (relatively) young victim of an overdose of anti-depressants. The corpse is sliced open rather quickly and expertly, the blood was previously drained but there are still traces of decomposition fluid. They then cut open her ribs with shears that look like they were made for cutting tree branches, and the even remove her brain (after cutting the optic nerves attaching it). They also discover that she had breast implants and remove them.

I did not have any nightmares after watching it, but then, that is me.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:46 AM   #14
Methadrine

That was indeed fascinating. As soon as they'd cut her open down to the abdomen I didn't consider her human at all anymore, just another body of meat and bones that the surgeons open up and have a looksie in. Pretty weird feeling actually, but yet another testament that a dead body is but a shell of what it once was.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:13 AM   #15
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by roserougesang
I agree with Romantic Raven, 'tis a pity there aren't any good exhibitions like that around in my country. Ah well, I might just borrow Cicero's anatomy DVD to compensate for that (and probably not be able to eat anything mushy for the next month but oh well )
(Argh, only just noticed this)

One of the body exhibits will be in Melbourne later this year... like in July. And they've been here many times before. After the holidays I'll show you!

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:20 AM   #16
Crying_Crimson_Tears

It sounds really interesting.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:35 AM   #17
deafasadoornail

I got an ad for this but opted not to go -- my kids are too young and I get too squeamish to go by myself. Although the odd part was that the ad for this had a discount coupon specifically marketed towards homeschoolers. I don't homeschool, and most of the people I know who do are hardcore fundamentalists.....so that was a head scratcher.
deafasadoornail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:40 AM   #18
Romantic Raven

HumanePain, great video, fascinating indeed, but also rather disturbing. Reminded me of the chunks of meat you see at the butcher's. I think I'll stick to my veggies... at least for today.
"I have cultivated my hysteria with delight and terror. Now I suffer continually from vertigo, and today, 23rd of January, 1862, I have received a singular warning, I have felt the wind of the wing of madness pass over me." - Charles Baudelaire
Romantic Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:51 AM   #19
Alaizabel Cray

Actually that makes sense to me. I'm home schooled, and although you don't miss out on any of the curriculum, there is quite the decreased chance for organized field trips (obviously I can go places like museums and such, but both of my parents work during the day, it's not like one of them can just drop everything to take me places), and with the exception of labs, all of the learning is out of the books. So any sort of "hands-on" learning is always really great.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:46 PM   #20
Cen0bite

I saw it a while back when it was in Florida. It was pretty interesting. Also, saw a heart with a heart murmur, which is what I have.... so it was kinda creepy. But I saw it with my science class in 11th grade. Unfortunately there were some who were immature, pointing out the genitals and laughing.

Pinhead: What you think of as pain is a shadow. Pain has a face. Allow me to show it to you. Gentlemen, I... Am... Pain
-Hellraiser:Bloodline
Cen0bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 04:32 AM   #21
bleedingheart344

I am seeing it this weekend. It really seems interesting and I am fairly sure I can enjoy it aesthetically.