Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 10-22-2005, 09:07 PM   #1
The Minister Saint-Fond

Do you guys remember...

Do you remember "Type O Negative"?

I met them once at a signing at a record store in Flint Michigan. They stayed a lot longer than they were scheduled to becuase a lot of people showed up to get their autograph and they didn't want anyone to go home disappointed. That was fairly cool.

Anyway, the guy in front of me started gushing to the leader-guy about how many shows he'd seen and where. He just kept going on and on. You could tell ol' Petey was tired. Finally I said something Jackassy so that he would move on and stepped up for my autograph.

"Hey, what's up." the leader-guy said (it was a statement rather than a question).
"Nice album," I replied.
"Thanks"
"You're pretty tall."
"Yup."
"Thanks."

And that was that. I was toward the end of the line so I'm pretty sure he secretly was happy to hear so little from me. But if he wasn't, that's OK too.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:32 PM   #2
Demonista_Ravenesque

My friend Steven hearts Type O Negative.

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 02:38 PM   #3
The Minister Saint-Fond

They have a very active web site, but I have no idea if they ever made even a second album.

And have you figured out why there are midgets on your lawn.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:56 PM   #4
TheKorovaMilkbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minister Saint-Fond
I was toward the end of the line so I'm pretty sure he secretly was happy to hear so little from me. But if he wasn't, that's OK too.
I'm sure he was. You'd more likely be the type of person he'd hang out with in real life. Pete doesn't seem like the type to talk much, does he?

I like Type O. My favorite song is "Love you to Death". One of my top 5 favorite songs ever. And that's saying something.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:26 PM   #5
The Minister Saint-Fond

I loved their album cover where they wrote, "Don't confuse a lack of talent with genius." That's the story of my life. Well... at least the story of the dirty parts.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:16 PM   #6
Black Gestalt

They have made six albums I think.

I love them. You just have to.
Black Gestalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 01:02 PM   #7
Junk Bond Trader

I liked them very much once. I saw them as a heavy metal Sisters of Mercy with BK and later albums after they left behind the last remnants of the Carnivore sound they still had on their first album, SD&H. They are probably responsible, at least partially, for the gothic metal genre. Some might point to Fields of the Nephilim as well, but I think Type O paved the way for it to get big. I'm really not big into gothic metal or metal in general. Moonspell and Tiamat seem okay from what I've heard of them. I like anything that reminds me of snowcapped mountains and swirling mists, which are what come to mind when I listen to music like that. But it just isn't my thing.

That said, I discovered Type O when a friend of mine, back in 1991 dragged me to an Overkill show. I thought they (OK) were the most terrible thing I'd ever heard, but I liked the openers, Life of Agony, Biohazard and Type O. But over the years, I grew to really despise the immaturity of the words. Gothic music, at its best, is usually smart and literary or quirky. I've really gotten away from band like LOA and TON because one is basically that brand of crappy NYHC that finds people getting the snot beat out of them at the shows. While many who like gothic music tend to like TON, and I'll agree he has a perfect voice for it, I just got tired of the pee jokes on one hand and the hokey horror lyrics on the other. That said, there's some genuinely funny stuff on BK, like Black #1 and some really nice atmospheric stuff, some good gothic rockers like Blood and Fire, and even a sort of attempt at a Britpop song with Too Late (Frozen). But even that is uneven. I'll chalk it up to a phase. And I hate their politics, but that has nothing to do with my opinion of their music. They've made a career of self deprecation. In some moments of genius, I'd say they are too hard on themselves. But mostly, I think they're terrible. I think if they'd shorten the songs, I generally think their sound is okay. If PS would sit down and actually think before he writes, he's probably capable of decent words. But the dumb jokes have got to go. The music is often too good for it. It's not that I can't take a joke; it's more like that joke isn't funny anymore. And there are, to answer an earlier question, about five records: SD&H, BK, OR, WCD and whatever the last one was called. There was also a "Least Worst" of and a sort of but not really live record, Origin of Feces.

When it comes down to it, though, I'd rather listen to The Sisters if I want that sort of thing.
Junk Bond Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:11 PM   #8
Tall One In Black

I met them in ... 1996, I think it was. Well, I met three of the four. Didn't meet Peter because he was, according to the keyboard player, "in the bus getting laid."

I wasn't a huge fan of TON, but it turned out to be a great trip because I loved the opening act, Drain STH. Four women from Sweden who kick serious ass... sound like a heavier Alice in Chains.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:11 AM   #9
Hatake

i have heard that name somewere but i donīt remember when i heard it *hides*
Hatake is offline   Reply With Quote