Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:47 PM   #1
spoon!

Guitar accesory advice

Since I started practicing/playing last year, I've been using twin Humbuckers in my Epiphone SG that have served me pretty well. I don't have a huge amp, but my little practice one gets a good enough boom that it doesn't really matter.

But, I'm trying to experiment a tad with different sounds, ever since I found that my cousin's Tele has more of a church-like feel as opposed to my SG's jackhammer crunch when put through my amp, and was wondering what would be a good (i.e. "cheap") replacement to put into her to give her that Pete Townshend Live at Leeds/Isle of Wight crunch that he got from his P90s.

My amps a Marshall 15-watter, and like I said, for such a "cute little amp" it gives off such a huge overwhelming boom even with the twin Humbuckers and when I overdrive it. Just pointing that out if it plays a major factor in my final decision.

Thanks for reading
spoon! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:51 AM   #2
CptSternn

Ever seen the software package Guitar Rig?

http://www.native-instruments.com/in...?id=guitarline

A must for playin' wif effects.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:00 AM   #3
TopHaggardDoll

Get some effects pedals!!!!!

We all love effects pedals! Well, I do. I'm obsessed.

I have a zoom G2....it's too good, too good. You can make your own sounds! XD!
Old 11-22-2007, 06:26 AM   #4
Methadrine

Yep, as THD says, get an effect pedal or two. It makes wonders and is ridiculously cheaper than replacing an amp.

Guitar Rig is also quite nice, but only tested that for about 5 minutes so can't say much about it.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
Stormtrooper of Death

Effects pedals are the way to go. I've been happy with my Boss Distortion pedal, Boss makes really good stuff in my opinion.
Stormtrooper of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:53 AM   #6
Methadrine

Mmmm, Boss. One of these days I'm going to get their DR-880, but not today...

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 11:03 AM   #7
Valrys

As everyone else says, get hold of some effects pedals, they're fun to play with, and you can get a load of different sounds

And speaking of distortion pedals, I use and ancient and cheap Aria pedal I salvaged from my dads heap of equipment he no longer uses....surprisingly enough for a pedal thats been sitting around since the 80s not doing much it sounds just as good as any modern pedal to my ears.....

Edit: I would really like a Digitech Death Metal pedal.........apparantly their other pedals are pretty good as well, if you happen to see one at a good price
Valrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 11:39 AM   #8
spoon!

Hmmm, then I guess an Effects Pedal is the way to go...
spoon! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:02 AM   #9
CptSternn

Guitar Rig is a piece of software that you run your half inch jack into your computer and then have the ability to use every pedal, amp, distortion unit, etc. on the market.

They even have a USB pedal to hook up to it so it works just like a normal pedal. You can hook up two, and setup effects to them.

You can even download settings from websites for pre-configed setups - want to sound just like your favourite band when they play or favourite sound? Download the setting - check out their setup and sound just like them - you just have to strum.

Brilliant stuff.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:43 AM   #10
Draconysius

I'm with Sternn. You should invest in effects software before pedals, because pedals are much more expensive and there's less in them. I remember buying a Digitech Death Metal a couple of years ago and it didn't sound a bit different from my amp's built-in distortion! Then I got M-audio Jamlab from a guitar center, and it comes with shitloads of effects, different distortion, flange, wah, reverb, and all that good crap. That seems like the better idea to me.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:35 AM   #11
CountSixstring

Actually pedals are a better way to go. What you must do is get the right pedals. The best bet on finding the right pedals is going to shops and testing them out. I use one big pedal. It's the Digitech GNX4. Its a bit pricey, but I get everything I'd ever need out of it, big pedals like that are usually not that good, but I've had it for two years and I've gotten the hang of it. For effects, look at the Digitech E-7 or just shop around. Digitech is actually good, you just have to look and know what you're looking for. Don't limit yourself though, I'm not a Digitech spokesperson.
CountSixstring is offline   Reply With Quote