Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
Splintered

Portal

This is the best short game I have ever played. It comes second only to Half-Life 2 and Deus Ex, in my mind.

If you've been living under a rock for the past 2 or 3 years, Portal is a game where you shoot... Portals. You can walk through these portals, and you have to use the Portals to solve various problems.

You're trapped in side of a building, and treated like a lab rat. Your goal is pure survival. Through military androids to pits of toxic waste, you have to make your way through all of it to survive.

The game is hilarious. The constant voice of GLADOS in the background has some of the funniest comments I have ever heard. It always keeps you thinking, and it always challenges you. You can go back to so many of the levels, and play them over, and over, and over again.

Not to mention the fact that Portal comes in the Orange Box, which contains Team Fortress 2, Half Life 2, Episodes 1 +2, and Portal itself, at $50. It's a brillaint deal. Not only that, but if you buy the Orange Box, and own any of the games already, you can give it to your friends as a gift too boot!

Get. Portal. It is the most fun you will have in 2-3 hours. The gameplay is new, the gameplay is fun, and the gameplay is just play funny.

And for those smart alecs who will say, "But what about sex?", I said 2-3 hours. Not 2-3 minutes.

Oh, and P.S., if you like zeropunctuation:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...The-Orange-Box
Old 11-25-2007, 08:30 AM   #2
Metabolik

It actually took me TWo days to complete, it was confusing...I usually finish games within one day...but this game impressed me with all the...confusing...(it pissed me right off a couple of times aswell)
Old 11-25-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
dark_dragon_of_ice

The best game EVER.
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:38 AM   #4
Syzerian

Portal has got to be one of my favourite games.
Favourite quote: "Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said "goodbye" and you were like "no way" and then I was all "I pretended I was going to murder you". That was great."
I feel like eating some cake now.
Syzerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:46 PM   #5
Miss Cogs

So trippy. I got a headahce sometimes cause I had to rattle my brain so much just to figure out some of the puzzles. But christ, I enjoyed it so much.
Miss Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:11 PM   #6
Cyntrox

THE CAKE IS A LIE!

That game owns...

I love the turret comments When you kill one, "No hard feelings..." in the cutest voice..
Old 11-26-2007, 03:42 PM   #7
Splintered

I know. I love when you get the turrets to shoot each other, and they scream out, "Hey! It's me!".

My favourite quote from the whole game is, "There is going to be a lot less talk, and a lot more killing."
Old 11-26-2007, 05:53 PM   #8
dark_dragon_of_ice

"Remember, the Aperture Science ‘Bring Your Daughter to Work Day’ is the perfect time to have her tested."
"Well done, android. The Enrichment Center once again reminds you that android hell is a real place where you will be sent at the first sign of defiance."
"Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me."
* "This weighted companion cube will accompany you through the test chamber. Please take care of it."
* "The symptoms most commonly produced by Enrichment Center testing are superstition, perceiving inanimate objects as alive, and hallucinations. The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak."
* "The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube cannot speak. In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice."
* "You did it! The weighted companion cube certainly brought you good luck. However, it cannot accompany you for the rest of the test and must, unfortunately, be euthanized."
* "Rest assured that an independent panel of ethicists has absolved the Enrichment Center, Aperture Science employees, and all test subjects for all moral responsibility for the companion cube euthanizing process."
* "While it has been a faithful companion, your companion cube cannot accompany you through the rest of the test. If it could talk - and the Enrichment Center takes this opportunity to remind you that it cannot - it would tell you to go on without it because it would rather die in a fire than become a burden to you."
* "Although the euthanizing process is remarkably painful, 8 out of 10 Aperture Science engineers believe that the companion cube is most likely incapable of feeling much pain."
* "The companion cube cannot remain through the testing. State and local statutory regulations prohibit it from simply remaining here, alone and companionless. You must euthanize it."
* "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record."
* "There was even going to be a party for you. A big party that all your friends were invited to. I invited your best friend the companion cube. Of course, he couldn't come because you MURDERED HIM. All your other friends couldn't come either because you don't have any other friends because of how unlikable you are. Unlikable, it says so here in your personnel file: Unlikable. Liked by no one. A bitter, unlikable loner whose passing shall not be mourned. SHALL. NOT. BE. MOURNED. That's exactly what it says. Very formal. Very official. It also says you're adopted, so that's funny too."
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:51 PM   #9
Agent17

I got a mild case of Vertigo from that game, its one of my favorite games because of its uniqueness.
Agent17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:43 PM   #10
Delkaetre

Best. Ending. Song. Ever.
Any of you ever played Narbacular Drop? Portal's ND's spiritual successor, though the worlds are different.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:38 AM   #11
Splintered

I saw the developers do a commentary on Portal, and they mentioned a lot of stuff about Narbacular Drop, and I might download it later to play it.

The team offers it here.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:49 AM   #12
Delkaetre

Well, it's small, free, and funny- go for it!
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:49 PM   #13
Eturnus_Frost

Loved this game, loved the challenge.
Eturnus_Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:36 AM   #14
viscus

"2+2=...10...IN BASE 4!"

Oh my god I love this game so much. I can't get the ending song out of my head, either.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote