Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #1
raggedyanne

Teen Pregnancy

With the issue getting so much press recently, everybody seems to have an opinion on teen pregnancy. What's your opinion? Feel free to post rants, personal stories, and whatever feeling you have on the issue.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:24 PM   #2
Johnny Gnar Gnar

Thank Gods I never got pregnant as a teenager.... errrrmmm I mean ever got someone pregnant as a teenager. It happens. That is about all I can say.
Johnny Gnar Gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:34 PM   #3
Godslayer Jillian

But it doesn't have to happen. The United States has the highest teen pregnancy percentage of the first world, what's up with that?
I do think Mexico has an even greater teen pregnancy rate than the U.S. but in actuality it has been reduced at a remarkable rate, even though the use of preservatives is a relatively costly luxury and not as available as in the U.S.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:40 PM   #4
raggedyanne

True. I know three girls already who have gotten pregnant this year. The main reason I posted this thread is because I'm going in wednesday for a test and my boyfriend and I are praying it will be negative. I think that schools should educate teens more. We hear so much about how abstinance only education doesn't work, yet it's still a common practice. Anyway, no matter how well educated teenagers are, and even if they're taking precautions, it still doesn't work sometimes and that is what people don't realize.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:30 PM   #5
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedyanne
I think that schools should educate teens more.
I don't. Public education is already a wasted right. Saying that public education is the one responsible for teaching us values is saying that we are completely free of responsibility and the consequences of our actions were not our fault. The pervasiveness of teenage pregnancy in America is an implication of a bigger problem in society, not in the public education system.
Quote:
We hear so much about how abstinance only education doesn't work, yet it's still a common practice.
Uhh... that would be a good thing!
Abstinence is the only way to prevent pregnancy at a 100% efficiency rate. If it is still practiced, then great! I think you meant to say something different, but this reads as "some people are still not fucking."
Quote:
Anyway, no matter how well educated teenagers are, and even if they're taking precautions, it still doesn't work sometimes and that is what people don't realize.
Yes, as I mentioned in the above text, it doesn't matter how many precautions one takes, every outcome of the possible outcomes out of an action is still a possibility. This means that even with a couple uses a condom, spermicide, the pill, the morning after pill, and she just gave him a blowjob, there's still the infinitesimal possibility that she might get pregnant (and the huge probability of massive LOL out of that scenario) just as it's still possible for your house to be robbed even with high-tech security systems and bars in the windows.
But this still doesn't explain why pregnancy rates are higher on America than Europe which is far less puritanical.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:34 PM   #6
raggedyanne

Sorry, I'm not quite lucid. You're right jillian, that's what I meant to say.

Where there is something that is considered forbidden, there will be more people trying to do it. Wow, funny mental picture.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:11 AM   #7
IsolatedReptile

It seems to me to be an issue of education and moral stances by people who aren't willing to accept that teens are having sex.

While I was in school, abstinence was really the only thing taught. We understood condoms and birth control, but we were taught they fail most of the time. I later found out this isn't necessarily true.

Second, most parents I knew seemed to believe that any form of contraceptive was the devil's work. So, how are kids supposed to protect themselves if their parents are going to help?

It's going to happen and certain people need to wake up and realize it.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:54 AM   #8
TopHaggardDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedyanne
I think that schools should educate teens more.
No, parents should be educating their teens more. Parents are the ones responsible for their children, they can't rely on just the schools to give good accurate information on sex and contraception.

So I say to that, TAKE SOME DAMN RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN BLOODY KIDS!

I can't say anything for the US because I live in the UK, I think we have the highest pregnancy rate in Europe though. Despite all the sex education. Children in this era in the UK are just...eurgh! Ignorant and act in the most appalling manner because obviously....teens have gotten pregnant and are raising children. I refuse to believe a 12-18 yr old has the life experience to raise a child especially as the majority of teens getting pregnant are the ones that act out and cause trouble. Therefore creating kids that also act out and cause trouble.

There is no hope. I actually believe that.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:20 AM   #9
Post Modern Girl

I'm going to say something on teh issue that everyone else seems to have passed by ...

Good luck Raggedyanne, I hope everything works out how you want it! And failing that then the best of luck to both of you
Post Modern Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:49 AM   #10
korinna5555

In my opinion, teens can be great parents. It is the society that tells a teen that they can't handle a child that is the problem. Granted, most teens don't want or can handle a child, but those who do and are capable of supporting a child shouldn't be looked down upon. It is a very personal decision, and depends very much on the circumstances. The only teen parent that I will look down upon is a teen who is immature, irresponsible, and doesn't care for their own child.
If a teen has a decent education (not necessarily from a school, but is intelligent and educated), has an income and a house of their own (which may or may not come before the pregnancy), ready to handle raising a child, and is in a stable, helathy relationship.. I don't have a problem if they PLAN a child.

Age doesn't make a good parent. My father was 30 when I was born, and horribly abusive.

/mini-rant
Old 01-08-2008, 05:50 AM   #11
korinna5555

Raggedy, if it comes back positive, I wish you luck..
If a negative is what you want though, I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:49 AM   #12
Underwater Ophelia

I think people should be able to control themselves. If you're fifteen, and you want to have sex, fine, whatever--that's none of my business.
However, you KNOW that it can lead to a baby, so get on birth control, and use a condom.
When a teen has a baby, and the mother goes on welfare, it does become my business, and everyone else's.
Don't complain about education, because you're not an idiot. You don't need someone to tell you that sex often leads to a baby.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:07 AM   #13
Solumina

a big problem is that abstinence only teaching includes scare tactics that are meant to keep people from having sex (including many false facts like condoms fail 75% of the time and that birth control will make you sterile) but since there are people who are going to have sex anyway those people don't learn safe sex either don't think contraceptives are worth using or think that it is safer for not to use them

Not making excuses but just saying that no education is better than most abstinence only education, cuz if you don’t know you ask someone but why would you ask if you were already taught
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:26 AM   #14
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Sekhmet~

P.S. Most people that have children should be dragged out into the street and shot, because as a direct response to horrible parenting, we as a society are spawning worse and worse humans. Really, think about it.
I don't think you can blame parents. Sure, it doesn't help, but at some point, you should start becoming an adult, and think for yourself.

It's YOUR fault if you get pregnant unexpectedly. Not the school's, not your parents'. It's your fault.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:35 AM   #15
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
What?! "I don't think you can blame parents." ?! Are you blind? If people had common since to raise children properly, soo many problems would fix themselves. The problem is, most people never grow up mentally! Do you know how many people out there still fuck up in the dumbest ways? We have thousands of fucking statistics proving lots of people do the stupidest shit every fucking day. Damn!
I'm aware of all of this.
My point is...if you had bad parents, get the fuck over it. People shouldn't just act stupid and blame their parents for their actions. They should go the extra mile, teach THEMSELVES how to act, and become their own people.

So I stand by my statement. If you're a bad person, it's YOUR fault.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:40 AM   #16
TopHaggardDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
I'm aware of all of this.
My point is...if you had bad parents, get the fuck over it. People shouldn't just act stupid and blame their parents for their actions. They should go the extra mile, teach THEMSELVES how to act, and become their own people.

So I stand by my statement. If you're a bad person, it's YOUR fault.
Then how would they have their excuse for being horrid people!?

I agree with everything you're saying....but how many people would actually do that!? If it means they don't have to take the blame for shit they do, most people will use an excuse.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #17
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
How many people do you think are really strong enough to get over their past, or come to terms with it? You tell someone 'hey, if you tough about your past, you might have an easier time living today' the majority of people would tell you to fuck yourself. People shouldn't act stupid, you are so fucking right about that, but most people do. It is a sad and disturbing fact of modern life.

(I get fucking tired of using the word most, but talking about people today, and it becomes a staple. Like, most people are weak, most people like being told what to do how to think.)
True, but A. I'm still right about what I said about it not being parents' fault, and B. People generally being accepting of this behavior does not make it ok. I just try not to associate with such people.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:10 AM   #18
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Yay! You were right!

Sorry, you just sound so fucking proud to be right. I told you I agree with what you said. People being accepting? Is that why soo many people take the time to complain about it, and set up programs against it? Lots of people are pissed children are having children. It makes them look bad.
Is there something wrong with being proud of being right? It's better than being proud of being wrong.

Anyway, people ARE accepting of it! Sure, they get all angry, but no one does anything about it, and obviously the people engaging in acts that get them into trouble are accepting of it.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:24 AM   #19
Steppenwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHaggardDoll
I refuse to believe a 12-18 yr old has the life experience to raise a child
I refuse to believe a 20 yr old can you know ... And some 25 ... Some 35 too ...

Come to germany and see about babies beaten to death by his/her mother or father , misstreaten , forgotten until they die because of hunger ... Much worst are emotional problems , which nobody can see or fully identify .

I know It's too much to say , but what if you legalize the whole proces of being father/mother by making parents go to some school/college and learn about his/her new responsability? Why is just enough "to be the biological father/mother" of the child to have automatically the permission to raise him/her , even if the unemployed parents haven't any money and are living thaks social money? Is that right for the child and for the society?
Old 01-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #20
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Can you be more clear on what you mean here?
People act like assholes all the time, and it's glorified. Ever watch American Pie? Stuff like that is considered funny and cute in our culture.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #21
Godslayer Jillian

I can't believe what I just read two posts above.
So you people are saying parenting should be institutionalized by a central authority?!

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 01-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #22
korinna5555

Yeah.. like we need more George W.'s running around..

>_<
Old 01-08-2008, 02:12 PM   #23
Signe

Well, I think people under eighteen should really really be careful so they do not mess up their lives. However, I respect biology and well, if you are old enough to have sexual urges and get pregnant, maybe you should be able to accept the responsibility of motherhood if it accidentally comes your way.
Signe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:17 PM   #24
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
What? Just how the hell did you come to that conclusion by what I said?
This (very Orwellian)
Quote:
Maybe if there was a application you had to send in, or something of that nature, there could be guidelines to who can and can not have children.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 01-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #25
Godslayer Jillian

Because you're wanting an arbitrary authority to have the power over whether someone deserves to bring forth a life or not.
How is this different than Bolivia's privatization of water supplies?
I'm against totalitarianism; I don't know about you.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote: