Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
Draconysius

Fields of the Nephilim

Imagine my shock when I saw that Fields of the Nephilim, one my favorite bands of all time, under any genre, does not have a thread on gnet! It's a sheer travesty! This band is just amazing. I admit it took me a while to get into them, but by god they've done it many times over!

Their 1986 debut, "Dawnrazor" is a staple in the goth sound, and very much carries on a SoM ethic throughout, with little glimpses of what would come here and there, such as "Preacher Man". This album has an overall lighter appeal than it's subsequent release, "the Nephilim" in 1988. "the Nephilim" is surely FotN's most well-known album, and includes the classic "Moonchild". The mood of this release is very melancholy, and the vocals of Carl McCoy alternate between a deep and broken crooning, and a pseudo-growl reminiscent of certain doom metal bands (and FotN are nowhere near metal, besides the vocals). The songs are emotional, desolate, and richly textured in their signature sound. After this release, "Elizium" comes to up the ante with stereo-filling atmosphere, and the epic 11-minute long "Sumerland (What Dreams May Come)". The Neph don't change a great deal in this release; sometimes it feels like "the Nephilim: part II", but it never falls into the category of rehashing old material, or feelings that one's heard it all before.

Well, um... it seems I got a little carried away with my summarization. Hahaha. Discuss! Favorite albums, songs, concerts, whatever.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
Bete Noire

Saw them live. Very very awesome. Last Exit for the Lost is incredble.
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
KontanKarite

Hit and miss for me. The Neph just struck me as WAY too metal for my tastes. Mainly because of the singer. But I did enjoy Power, so my opinion isn't very strong on them either way.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:33 PM   #4
Delkaetre

I have a lingering resentment for my housemate... he's a cybergoth, little to no appreciation for good old goth rock, and he got taken to the Neph for free. While I stayed at home, unable to get to the gig or afford a ticket. Bastard.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
honeythorn

Ahhhhh Dawnrazor how I love thee...

I really love the intro actually. The Harmonica man. It has such a creepy wild west sense to it. You can almost see the tumbleweeds..
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:22 AM   #6
TopHaggardDoll

Those guys rock, beyond reason.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:34 AM   #7
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Not a thread per se, but they are mentioned:

https://www.gothic.net/links/fields-...ilim-1568.html

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:01 AM   #8
ApothoKeri

I have always liked them!
ApothoKeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:48 AM   #9
Madarame

The first song of theirs I heard was "Moonchild" and I loved them instantly. Fantastic band, I've always prefered the Dawnrazor album to the Nephilim though.
Madarame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:30 PM   #10
MOUSEBLOOD

I was so jealous of their "look" when they started. The whole spaghetti western thing was just so cool. And "Dawnrazor" was such a great record. Man do I wish I had thought of it.
MOUSEBLOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:52 AM   #11
Haex

This is by far my favorite acoustic band. I like a lot of their songs for different reasons. Like the minimalism of 'Celebrate', the occultism of 'Psychonaut'(plus it's fun to dance to), and the epic expansion of 'Last Exit for the Lost'. The newest album has some wonderful stuff too...

McCoy has an interesting and fantastic voice that lends a great deal of ambiance to the music, which seems to have so much depth and atmosphere already. I just adore it.
Haex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #12
Draconysius

Their latest album "Mourning Sun" (released in 2005) is quite good, if anyone's hesitated checking that out yet. It's got one song with a bit of electronics in it, but don't let that scare you away.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:23 AM   #13
Sumerian Nephilim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
Their latest album "Mourning Sun" (released in 2005) is quite good, if anyone's hesitated checking that out yet. It's got one song with a bit of electronics in it, but don't let that scare you away.
'Mourning Sun' is really excellent except for that electronic/industrial song which I hated, but other than that its a super album. There has been no other goth rock bands from the 80s that I know of that put out an album as great as 'Mourning Sun' to my knowledge. 'Fields of The Nephilim' were the main reason I got into gothic rock in the first place after hearing the absolutely stunning 'The Nephilim' album back in 2004. I then got Elizium, Revelations & Earth Inferno (which is the most incredible live gothic rock album in existence) soon after as well. I was somewhat disapointed with 'Dawnrazor' when I first heard it because I'd heard 'The Nephilim' before it but now I think it is very good but not as awesome as the next two albums. I just hope that 'Fields of The Nephilim/Carl McCoy will make another album soon because I can't wait.
Sumerian Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:03 PM   #14
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumerian Nephilim
'Mourning Sun' is really excellent except for that electronic/industrial song which I hated, but other than that its a super album. There has been no other goth rock bands from the 80s that I know of that put out an album as great as 'Mourning Sun' to my knowledge. 'Fields of The Nephilim' were the main reason I got into gothic rock in the first place after hearing the absolutely stunning 'The Nephilim' album back in 2004. I then got Elizium, Revelations & Earth Inferno (which is the most incredible live gothic rock album in existence) soon after as well. I was somewhat disapointed with 'Dawnrazor' when I first heard it because I'd heard 'The Nephilim' before it but now I think it is very good but not as awesome as the next two albums. I just hope that 'Fields of The Nephilim/Carl McCoy will make another album soon because I can't wait.
Yeah, I didn't love "Dawnrazor" at first, but it's getting better with time. It does help that "Slow Kill" is a song I put on a VERY old compilation, so it's an old favorite. Man... if they're not doing another album any time soon, I at least want to get McCoy do guest vocals on one of my band's songs.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:22 PM   #15
zeronegativeplus

My fave Nephiliam albume would have to be Revelations.
zeronegativeplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #16
dreamydancer

They're the kind of metal band I'll listen to. Them and Type O Negative. Other than that I think all kinds of heavy metal are pigshit.

My favorite song would have to be "For Her Light."

~Clan of Xymox
dreamydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:25 PM   #17
Godslayer Jillian

I think we have talked about him before. I remember mentioning my love for Vet for the Insane.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:29 PM   #18
Slap Your Love

I enjoy Moonchild quite alot.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:36 AM   #19
Madarame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
Yeah, I didn't love "Dawnrazor" at first, but it's getting better with time. It does help that "Slow Kill" is a song I put on a VERY old compilation, so it's an old favorite. Man... if they're not doing another album any time soon, I at least want to get McCoy do guest vocals on one of my band's songs.
Yeah "Slow Kill" is a great track, my favourite from that album.

Also has anyone read the Uncyclopedia entry about them?
It's actually quite funny.
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Fields_of_the_Nephilim
Madarame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:25 PM   #20
Sumerian Nephilim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madarame
Yeah "Slow Kill" is a great track, my favourite from that album.

Also has anyone read the Uncyclopedia entry about them?
It's actually quite funny.
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Fields_of_the_Nephilim
It's pretty funny alright.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:54 PM   #21
Sumerian Nephilim

Draconysius have you ever heard the 1991 bootleg of Fields of The Nephilim called 'Memoriam'? Its absolutely brilliant, the sound is really great and the band play with a lot of precision. Here is a link to download it, and anybody else who's interested. Although you might need to download Mozilla Firefox as well because Windows Internet Explorer is a bit iffy sometimes.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y88NJ940

Let me know what you think of it.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:46 PM   #22
Sumerian Nephilim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamydancer
They're the kind of metal band I'll listen to. Them and Type O Negative. Other than that I think all kinds of heavy metal are pigshit.

My favorite song would have to be "For Her Light."
Fields of The Nephilim are not metal, but they are that bit heavier than other gothic rock bands. "For Her Light" is indeed stunnung especially the version from the "Revelations" best of with the excellent backwards vocals at the end.